upgrade from m-audio mobile pre

studio_57

max of $400, need xlr in, 1/4" in, prefer no midi. i guess i just want a clearer preamp ...or tips on how to get this beast to sound better. im going to end up using about 5 mics on drums, do i just mix that down to 2 channels? are there cards that can record more than 2 tracks at the same time? perhaps even 5? :confused:

thanks

Do you need a usb interface?

If not have a look at the M-Audio 1010LT. 2xlr ins, 2 preamps, 6 unbalanced rca ins

doesn't need to be usb, anything really. i'm sot sure if i could record 5 xlr ins with that though because it uses rca's. what are you supposed to do with 6 rca ins anyway?

Well, hooking up multiple synths? :)

Anyways, multi-preamp soundcards in your price range that come to mind includ the Egosys Wamirack 192L..and...hrm. Well.

You could get a cheap ADAT sound card, like the EWS Terratec 88D for 125 bucks here http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=449

And then get the most affordable ADAT preamp ever, the Behringer ADA8000 for 200 bucks. Puts you well under you max price and gives you 8 ins with pres.

I personally don't think it's very cool to record a whole song using only these pres... (if you can, get something like a DMP3 for cheap...) but if you need pres and ins more than anything, this will give it to you, best bang for the buck.

hah! thats perfect! thanks alot, you really cleared it up for me. i might end up getting the DMP3 and the behringer with an ADAT card. that should give me a pretty good quality pre (dmp3) and a mass of them (behringer) too, right?

Back