Upgrade from Acid Pro, to ...?

DrumArtist23

I have been using Acid since 2.0. I am still using Acid 6.0 Pro, but want to make the jump to something with a "dedicated to recording" feel. Loops worked for me when I had no gear, and no need to record more than 1 or 2 tracks at a time, but I am to the point where I am in need of recording in a dedicated proggy that uses its GUI for recording new media, and is not geared toward royalty free loops that you buy and drop in.

Any ideas? Just let me know what you think would be the best upgrade to use with a 48channel 8bus mixer and two delta 1010's.

i know that acid is meant for loops, but is it really that bad to record with? i used it to record my band and that turned out better than we thought. If you want to stick with sony they offer a dedicated recording program called sound forge.

If you're comfortable using Linux I would suggest grabbing a copy of Ubuntu, installing the UbuntuStudio packages and firing up Ardour. It has the obvious advantage of being free, but it's also a really great DAW. If you want to stick to the windows world, REAPER is a great low cost ($50 for a non-commercial license) DAW that works pretty well. I haven't used REAPER in awhile, so I'm not sure how well it scales up (you said you have a 48/8 board) though.

I started with ACdi Pro 3 eventually I went from Acid Pro 6 to Sonar, and I'm pretty happy with Sonar. I just recently checked out Acid Pro 7 to see what it was like. I have to say it was an odd experience getting back into Acid I found my self stumbling around, and taking to many steps to do things that I can do with one keyboard shortcut in Sonar.

Acid Pro is good stuff, but I also know how your feeling as I felt the same way once. I recommend Sonar 8 producer edition, or what ever the newest version of Cubase might be... if your looking to spend money.

On the Cheap, go for Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm

I have Acid Pro7 and it works great. Since I record only me, I don't need to multi track right now. I record all my music on my 2488 then move it over to Acid and do all my editing. I have been using Acid since version 4 so it's pretty easy for me. They have added some great mastering tools now and it can be used as a full DAW with the right hardware.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input! I am considering going to Sonar 8 but I would need a computer upgrade, and considering everything else I have put into the studio, I couldn't afford that at this point. I do have vegas 7 or something, and soundforge 8. I just want a dedicated multitrack platform. And if any of the proggys I have can cut it, then I would be happy to stick with them.

i know that acid is meant for loops, but is it really that bad to record with? i used it to record my band and that turned out better than we thought. If you want to stick with sony they offer a dedicated recording program called sound forge.

I was unaware that soundforge offered dedicated multitrack... Am I missing something here? What version of Soundforge have you had the most experience with?

oops! i was definatey thinking of another program, and i dont even think it was from sony haha. sorry for that little mistake. as it is now several days later, i don't remember what i was thinking about anyways - might have been vegas, but thats mainly for video... sorry! i guess thats what happens when you have about 7 tabs open and you are flipping between them all in class. ignore that.

Acid PRO 7 Allows multi tracking with metering on all tracks and input monitoring with effects. You're only limited by your number of physical inputs and HDD

Hmmmm, this sounds like something I should look into. I will still look into Sonar (strictly for brand name recognition by the people I will record) but will see about getting Acid 7 in the mean time. Thanks for the heads up!

Acid Pro7 can be used as a full DAW by using the Mackie Control. I also think there are ways to use other DAW hardware with it but the Mackie is the one they talked about in the book.

Appreciate the info. I have been looking into Sonar 8, but after looking at Acid 7, I don't think there is a good enough reason to switch. *sigh* Could anyone tell me the benefits of Sonar 8 over Acid 7? Or vice versa? All answers appreciated!

Appreciate the info. I have been looking into Sonar 8, but after looking at Acid 7, I don't think there is a good enough reason to switch. *sigh* Could anyone tell me the benefits of Sonar 8 over Acid 7? Or vice versa? All answers appreciated!

Sonar probably handels MIDI better than ACID does although in the last release of ACID there is a lot of MIDI support.
Sonar has more external surface control support I believe
I don't think anything handles time stretching as well as SOny does
Sound quality..Meh, depends on your AD/DA converters the DAW software doesn't make any difference really 1010101010 is the same on any system

Personally I'm comfortable with ACIDPRO. It does what I need and to me is extremely intuitive and fast. All of my waves, Wavearts, Voxengo, Izotope and UAD plugs work fine and I'm using NI, Aria and toontrack virtual instruemnts with no problems

If I get to a point where I can't do what I want with this (or any other software) I'd think about switching but I don't see that in the near future as far as ACID pro goes.

Back