Upgrade Blues

zetm

I've been recording for a long time. A few years ago, I purchased a used Mac Pro. Put in 32 Gb of memory, fast 7200 RPM drives and was quite happy with Snow Leopard and Logic 9. Then Apple, in their infinite product updates, moved on with hardware and Logic X. Initially, I tried to keep up moving to Mountain Lion until my MacPro got obsoleted.

Furthermore, by moving ahead, I've had to obsolete some gear that I really like Liquid Mix. Apple is only selling Logic Pro X. I get that.

While I have a new Mac Mini, I find that this system is good for simple recording 1-2 tracks at a time, etc. But not the beast the MacPro was. The Mac Mini was purchased for a general internet surf system, etc.

My questions is, I'm thinking of going back to Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro. My issue is Logic. Will I still be able to pull Logic 9 from Apple? Has anyone tried this. I may put a new drive in the system and rebuild it from scratch. The problem is then you start thinking to yourself, now I need an interface built say somewhere between 2006 - 2009 used off of ebay. Initially, I had hoped to upgrade the MacPro to get the UA Apollo but then they stopped supporting Snow Lion and Lion and I'm frankly out of cats and cash....

What are people's thoughts on the upgrade issues? Like some of you, I can't afford a new $5K computer, $5K audio interface every 3 years. It's rather annoying.

On a side note, I have a G4 with Digi001 that I've been very productive with, just can't find older plugins for the unit. But it simply works.

Back