Updating, need advice!

framos

Hey guys and gals:

I've been trying to learn home recording for a few months (I'm a drummer with a seven-piece Ludwig set) and I think I have the basics down. Now I want to expand my equipment.

Currently I have a Mac G4 running Cubase VST 32 v.5 which I plan to upgrade to SX.

I have a Delta 1010 audio interface and one Sm Pr8 Mic Pre-amp. (You'll begin to see where I made some bad choices in my equipment, but I was just starting out, remember).

A Nady seven piece mic pack, several boom stands, and a
Studio Projects C-1

Akai Deca Buddy and Pitch Right software.

A cheap VGA computer monitor.

A cheap acoustic guitar.

And a pair of Event TR8-N Tuned powered Reference monitors.

Now, here's the fun part. I blieve I can afford about $10,000 over the next year or so, upgrading my equipment. How should I spend it?

I know I have to buy mics. That's a given, considering my bad choices. (Although, I like the Studio Project mic). But should I spend some of the money on Shure M58s, 57s? In what combination should I purchasr this mics?
What about out board equipment. Do I really need a mixer since I'm planning to buy another Delta 1010 and increase my inputs to 16? (I don't do any midi work, at least not now, so I don't use the Delta's midi capabilities). An outboard mixer seems to be a waste since I use the Cubase mixer and can increase the number of inputs by increasing the number of Deltas and mic pre-amps.

What about Reason? Is it midi based or can I use some of its capabilities audio recording?

Here's another question. I've seen photos of home studios with dual computer monitors. How's it work and should I get those same capabilities too? I know that my computer screen is cluttered already. Will getting two monitors help?
What about mastering software. I don't know a great deal about masstering yet.
Right now, I'm renting a room so I can't really spend any money on room treatment. I currently have blankets on the walls and it seems to be working alright.

I'm basically going to use the studio as I have been the last few months ... I record with small groups of friends and by myself. My objective is to record music and offer it for sale on various Internet sites.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

framos

I think you should take it slow. You can find a way to spend 10,000 easily, but if you do it too fast you'll be sorry. Your weakest link in your chain is probably your pre-amps. A lot of people around the board go without a mixer, but there's no way I could work without one. If you plan on getting a second Delta (are you sure that 2 delta's will work on your system?) I think looking into a mixer would be a good idea. Something like one of those A&H mixers have 16 inputs and 16 direst outs and they are only about a grand.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...4080778674/g=home/search/detail/base_id/40387

Then you'll probably want to look into getting mics. A stereo pair of SD condensers, a bass drum mic, and a couple sm-57's were my first mics and I am happy with them. After getting all that I think you should take a break from buying gear and learn what you have. Then other pieces will arise that you need. Everyone has different needs though, that is just one option.

yes, take it real slow........

first, get your mics and preamps going and you'll be ok.......

the 1010, the computer, your recording software(SX) and monitors(TR8N) will do you a good job....you are almost there.......

first off, why the second Delta? will you be recording that many sources simultaneously? if so, thats cool, but just checking......

what kind of music is it and what other instruments will you be recording and which ones will you be recording simultaneously?

Back