updating my older iMac - advice please

ryguy76

I have a 2.16Ghz/3GB RAM intel core duo iMac that I have been using for everyday computing. I had planned on buying a current quadcore iMac when I finished building my studio space. Well the time has come, and I have run outta $, and have another child on the way. See the problem?

Sooooo.... I am thinking of reformatting my iMac so it's squeeky clean, upgrading my OS to the latest version, installing Logic and using it until I can make some $ recording to buy his new machine.

My thoughts are to have the OS and programs on the internal drive, and buy a small (60GB) ext. SSD to record to, (cause it's silent) and move it to a HDD when I'm finished tracking. My limited sample library would still be on the internal drive, (ezdrummer, session strings, and a piano sampler eventually)

I'm mostly concerned about the 3Gb of RAM, as that is fully loaded for this machine. I read that an additional Gb would allow for dual channel access to be implemented for a 6% - 8% speed increase, although on 3Gb would actually be used by the OS. Not sure what it means though....any ideas on that?

Is this all do-able?

Back