Updated my system, now Pro Tools works worse! Any ideas?

Nick The Man

Hey guys, so here's the story.

I was running XP with a Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz with Pro Tools 7.4 and everything worked just fine

NOW I built an entire new machine (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, everything!)

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with a Core i7 2.8GHz

On my new system I made it possible to boot in Windows 7 or Windows XP. So I planned on using Pro Tools on the XP system. However to my surprise, it can't handle very much of anything. I can only use so many plugins without overloading the system and getting the common error message stating that I'm using too much CPU power. When I go to the Playback Engine it even notices all the updated hardware.

So I bought, downloaded, and installed Pro Tools 8 and the latest upgrade on my Windows 7 system. And I get the same results. I cannot figure out why this is happening?

When I took a Protools class, I remember the teacher talking about how some chipsets just aren't compatible.

I guess I was just wondering if any of you have any ideas or solutions to this problem.

Get in touch with Digi. They'll ask you for a SANDRA report, which is pretty much EVERYTHING about your system. Then they'll be able to tell you what's causing the problems.

PS: The tape machine tip was pretty useless :rolleyes:

Get in touch with Digi. They'll ask you for a SANDRA report, which is pretty much EVERYTHING about your system. Then they'll be able to tell you what's causing the problems.

PS: The tape machine tip was pretty useless :rolleyes:

Not to the people that have had pro fools and have switched to recording to tape. Their are several cases just on this forum alone of such an act. Yes it was a condescending remark on my end but nevertheless is a viable alternative.

Not to the people that have had pro fools and have switched to recording to tape. Their are several cases just on this forum alone of such an act. Yes it was a condescending remark on my end but nevertheless is a viable alternative.

Viable alternative, yes. However the OP has upgraded his system, and even dual-booted for one purpose: Pro Tools.

Sounds to me like he wants to keep it.

haha thanks guys. Yeah I'll let Pro Tools screw up a few more times before I switch to tape.

Do you have any idea who the hell I would contact about this? Avid makes it so hard to find an e-mail or anything to get some technical support!

I have 4GB of RAM, and I'm talking about Plugins like Waves L316. But even if I use an average amount of less demanding plugins my processor is still getting overworked.

haha thanks guys. Yeah I'll let Pro Tools screw up a few more times before I switch to tape.

Do you have any idea who the hell I would contact about this? Avid makes it so hard to find an e-mail or anything to get some technical support!

I have 4GB of RAM, and I'm talking about Plugins like Waves L316. But even if I use an average amount of less demanding plugins my processor is still getting overworked.

http://na2.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=00D400000007GIT&portalId=060400000000a8s - log in, and you should be redirected to contact them

Thank you sir.

Also a little update. I found that if I turn off Hyperthreading on the i7 things seem to run smooth.

I'm still wondering if I'm getting full potential out of this processor though

Back