Upcoming session - mic choice

Moley1390

Canberran Amatuer
Ok, so half the fun in tracking is mic choice/placement, so i thought i'd look for what some other people would do-
Here's the situation: I have a session coming up with a rock group (not too heavy, although not pop). I usually record jazz, but i know a fair bit about rock recording. Just wondering what some other people's opinions are on what to use where. The options are:

NT1-A x2
NT5 x2
SM57
SM58
Custom SDC (similar to nt5, but slightly larger diaphragm)
Behringer c-2 x2 (yes, i know......)

With a selection of various amps and pres.

Need to track drums, bass, 2x guitar and possibly vox (although these will most likely be dubbed later)

AAAAAAND......
GO!

(much appreciated, btw!)

Ok, so half the fun in tracking is mic choice/placement, so i thought i'd look for what some other people would do-
Here's the situation: I have a session coming up with a rock group (not too heavy, although not pop). I usually record jazz, but i know a fair bit about rock recording. Just wondering what some other people's opinions are on what to use where. The options are:

NT1-A x2
NT5 x2
SM57
SM58
Custom SDC (similar to nt5, but slightly larger diaphragm)
Behringer c-2 x2 (yes, i know......)

With a selection of various amps and pres.

Need to track drums, bass, 2x guitar and possibly vox (although these will most likely be dubbed later)

AAAAAAND......
GO!

(much appreciated, btw!)

Here's my shot at drums

Inside Kick - SM58
Outside Kick - NT1
Snare Top - 57
Snare bottom - custom SDC
Toms - Behringer C2's
OH - NT5's

I'd use the NT5's for overheads, the NT1 on outside kick, the sm 57 & 58 on the guitar cabs, the custom SDC as a room mic somewhere, and for the bass a NT1 and D/I. The c2's well, you know...

Thanks!

They look great! i was thinking along those lines. It cant hurt to have the c2s on the toms, they don't have to be included in the final mix. What kind of distance for the NT1 on the kick? And in the NYMorningstar config, what to do about the snare?
Thanks a bunch!

What kind of distance for the NT1 on the kick?

And in the NYMorningstar config, what to do about the snare?
Thanks a bunch!
I'd move the NT-1 around until I found the spot it sounds the best.
I'd let the drummer take care of the snare because I ran out of mics :D

Back