Upbeat instrumental rock song.

chandlerhimself

Here is a song I've been working on for the last week or so. Please give me your opinions on the mixing, arrangement, etc. I was trying to get it to sound like a cross between a Jpop song song and a Shred song(I know you're saying "who the hell would want a mix of that"). I didn't fade out the end yet and I haven't done any eq to the final mix, just a little compression(maybe too much). Anyway thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

soundcloud.com/chandlerhimself/enoshima

Nobody has any comments? Mix is bad, playing sucks, terrible song, etc? I'll try to embed the song, so it'll be easier to listen to.

Really great playing. I mean really great. Extremely tight. It moves well and keeps up listener interest - not always easy for an instrumental.

The guitars all seem to be missing some higher end. It's like there is a steep rolloff above 4-5K or so.

The programmed drums sound... programmed.

Great instrumental. Nice smooth guitar tone and good performance. I can't really critique the mix because I am listening to this through laptop speakers. The only criticizm I have is with the drums. You really need to find yourself a real drummer, or do some serious programming with that drum machine. That repeating pattern becomes very monotonous.

Thanks for compliments and advice. The drums are monotonous out of laziness, tomorrow or the next I'll try to fix them by adding in a few fills and changing a few hits here and there. I wrote and recorded it in a little less than a week. I was rushing to finish it for my wife's birthday(still didn't make it on time). As for the guitar tone, I used an amp emulator pedal direct and then put an impulse response on it. I also chopped off some of the high end because I personally don't like string/finger/pick noise or too much upper end bite. Those 3 things are the cause of the lack of top end on the guitars, but perhaps I over did it. I'll try to fix the drums(and anything else people suggest) and then I'm going to put this on youtube as a demo of the pedal I used. Before I bought the thing I couldn't find many demos, so I was kind of shooting in the dark. Thanks.

Guitar playing is great. I agree about the drums. I also think that maybe the drums (and bass) were too loud and sort of needlessly overshadowing the guitars.

I changed the drums a little. Added a few fills and things. Some places I think it helped and some places maybe I made it sound worse, but its at least less monotonous. Anyway thanks for all the comments.

Very enjoyable listen. Excellent guitar playing. Shredding put to good use. Nice composition and video also. Yes the drums are a bit monotonous even with the fills. I'm not sure how you do your drums but a trick i use is to randomize the velocities (volume), in a midi editor so you dont always have that %100 volume on every hit of every drum. But it wasn't a real distraction with the smooth sound you had going everywhere else. I see you hired mac hine from allan holdsworth? : )

Strat

Yeah, I like it :)

I think the stuff on the left could do with some added high end/ low end rolloff as well.
My left ear feels disconnected from everything else going on. It's almost like there isn't much going on there. Which is sad because I really enjoy the track.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I'm in the process of recording more songs, so I might need some help again with my mixing, arrangements, etc. I just wanted to say to everyone that posted in this thread, that their kind words and criticisms are appreciated.

Your playing is awesome and really together.

But Sorry. I couldn't sit thru it. It sounds like the soundtrack to a saftey video i have to watch for work.

Back