Up-to-Date DAW-Building Information?

88fingers

I've looked around on several forums, but anytime there's a thread on "How to build a DAW," it's always months old. Are there any sites that keep up-to-date on DAW-building spects, since new computer hardware is constantly coming out? Has there been any thought or conversation about keeping an up-to-date reference thread on this site anywhere? It seems like something useful to have around...

I've looked around on several forums, but anytime there's a thread on "How to build a DAW," it's always months old. Are there any sites that keep up-to-date on DAW-building spects, since new computer hardware is constantly coming out? Has there been any thought or conversation about keeping an up-to-date reference thread on this site anywhere? It seems like something useful to have around...

Up to date reference on what. A DAW is just a PC. Buy one Or better yet build one with whatever parts you want.

"Months old" isn't really too old by any means to consider current...

That's honestly not very accurate. I've seen plenty of DAW builds online that reference specific motherboards and RAM chips, which by the time the information is found, very often computer stores don't even have those parts anymore.

I guess the question is more about whether or not there's a good, up-to-date list of good DAW parts available anywhere.

HangDawg said:
...A DAW is just a PC....
And a DAW is not "just a PC" the parts of a DAW need to be efficient, quiet, and stable. Not every computer part fits that bill.

That's honestly not very accurate. I've seen plenty of DAW builds online that reference specific motherboards and RAM chips, which by the time the information is found, very often computer stores don't even have those parts anymore.

I guess the question is more about whether or not there's a good, up-to-date list of good DAW parts available anywhere.

And a DAW is not "just a PC" the parts of a DAW need to be efficient, quiet, and stable. Not every computer part fits that bill.
Baloney. There's not a PC built today - Mac or PC, laptop or tower - that can't handle at least 24 tracks of audio with VST plugs galore without breaking a sweat and without locking up or blue-screening. Most will do better than that.

Hell I did exactly that with my old Gateway 450MHz PIII with 384MB RAM. I could even edit several tracks of high-resolution, full screen video with a half dozen tracks of audio with that thing with no issues. Worked fine for me from 1999 to 2004. The only things it sucked at were that it couldn't handle some of the more complex VSTi instrument emulators, convolution plugs were a drain, and rendering video took forever.

But those issues wen't away long ago with GHz-level clock speeds and GB-level memory. The PC is the last thing that anybody needs to worry about when putting together a home studio.

G.

Agreed with Southside's post. The only thing that can be troublesome to find is cooling that is quiet and does the job very well, in which case water cooling is the best bet (and there are a ton of great options for that too). There's no reason to follow a guide on what hardware to buy, figure out what your actual needs are, and base your choice on that.

Back