Up to $500 vocal mic

What are you recording - different mics for different purposes (and voices).

Edited because a mod just moved this to the correct forum section.

When you get up into the $500 bracket, you owe it to yourself to find a supplier that will let you listen to the mic on your voice/style. As Btyre2013 says, there's no one size fits all option. However, considering you're on the 57/58 end of the market now, I wouldn't bother with an external pre amp. A mic change will make a MUCH larger difference to your sound.

Hmmm...even as an inveterate lover of condenser mics, for the style you describe I might be looking at big dynamics like an RE20 or SM7B but I'm by no means saying those will turn out to be what you want.

I'll just go bold and recommend SM7b as a guess.

There are a thousand other questions you will be asking soon. None of them about this mic...

:)

I'll just go bold and recommend SM7b as a guess.

There are a thousand other questions you will be asking soon. None of them about this mic...
I wish.. one of these days I could- ought to :) try an SM7. As it is I'll chime in that the RE20's (have two.. :) continue to be constant go-to's.
'Live in the house vocals with the band, amps (gobo'ed and at reasonable volumes) in the room, often keeper vocals.
One of the things is this mic, sound very nice 'up on them'- but unlike most/typical live vocal mics and the SM7 from what I see, because of their design don't let you get too close to the diaphragm.
A nice compromise- sounds good but won't get quite the sig-to-bleed' ratio of a 58 or OM5 or what ever that let you get a 1/2" away.
So. Before you $pring.. Try a pop screen with an inch or so of space first.

Last edited:
I'd recomend the Shure ksm 32, as you've already have dynamics.
In that price range you could get your hands on a beyerdynamic ribbon mic as well, I love those for a more colored sound.

I believe that I misread into what the OP was asking.

If wanting just a mic for vocals in a shitty room or even a great room with a loud singer, the SM7b works really well.

If you are expanding your choices with mic-ing acoustic instruments or drum overheads, then yeah, you need to get a decent pair of condenser mics.

Shure KSM 141's are what I use now. You can get them for around $500 for a pair used.

57 is still a staple mic for recording guitars and drums. Don't get rid of any mic ever.

Not sure I would invest in a preamp yet. Well, unless you have cash sitting around 'screaming at you' to spend.

As Btyre stated, there is no 'one' mic that is best for everything.

And mixsit is correct. You may only need to adjust how you use your mics.

Well basically I have a drum mic set, and I use the 57 for acoustic guitar. I'm basically looking to get just pure vocal quality and accuracy! I have condensers and the rest I just need a good vocal mic. I do appreciate all the replys I am having trouble deciding between the 7b and the ksm. Would it be necessary to step it up if it's just vocals?

57 for acoustic would not ever be my first choice.

I hope you actually read what was posted, as there are answers you just now did not really respond to...

Oh no I read it, I'm looking into the different mics for my uses. I don't really need any multipurpose I'm specifically looking for vocals.. The sm7b is looking pretty good as far as I've looked into so far. So I'm basically just looking for a super solid vocal mic. On guitar I di into the m-box and use bias amp simulator

If you're an aggressive, strong singer, the SM7B might be just right. It's a talk radio mic and it's designed to make a shouty/spitty announcer or shock jock listenable. I am a non singer and I feel like I'm fighting the SM7B and losing when I try to use it for me for vocals.

On the dynamic side I have yet to find anyone including me who couldn't work with the Sennheiser MD441 - on the used market I think they're in your price range.

From what I've been looking at the AKG C214 seems pretty good for my vocal type.
I may be able to pull off the 441 but I'll have to wait a bit on it

I say go with the new RODE NT1 (not the NT1-A) whilst saving some dollars. It is a relatively flat mic which makes it a good all rounder.. It won't flatter anything which isn't always what you want but you can EQ to taste.

With the NT1 - Last weekend I recorded my band's singer and he has a harshness around 4k when using my ole NT1A. Then I recorded a female friend who has a smooth tone right through the range that doesn't get harsh. All I did was high-pass 120, scoop some 500 and the shelf from 8k and wow both vocal performance just pop. Very happy with this mic thus far. Granted, its only been a week, but I love it.

Check out this article and you have to watch the NT1 vs U87 vid..
Rode NT1 vs NT1A - what's the difference? - The Red Dog Blog

From what I've been looking at the AKG C214 seems pretty good for my vocal type.
I may be able to pull off the 441 but I'll have to wait a bit on it

...if you like the 414 family of sound, there is a much better option than the 214...a former AKG design engineer left to create a line of mics inspired by the classic C414, but with a more modern, hi-tech design...the Lewitt LCT 540 combines 414 influences with classic U87 (pre "AI") tones...excellent cardioid LDC mic with 3-position pad and low-cut switching...originally $599, the LCT 540 sounds more high-end than the C214, IMHO, but can be found pre-owned for around $300...for example (here comes the shameless plug!):
Lewitt LCT 540 and Studio Projects CS5 Condenser Microphones | REALGEARonline

But seriously, do some research, these are exceptional quality at this pricepoint...I found the LCT 540 to have the best attributes of a vintage 87 without the "honk" factor that 87s often display...definately between a 414 and 87...at $299 it's hard to beat...

Please believe me! Take the $500 buy a SOund Cloud for the 57 and 58, then buy as many cheap mics as you can. Go for MXL v67g, M-Audio Nova, CAD gxl2200, MXL 990/991, MXL r144. etc. Go to guitar.com, click on used gear and check it out. I don't work work for them but I did recently purchase a mxl 990/991
mxl r144
CAD gxl2200
M-Audio Nova
MxL v67g
All 5 mics for $260 including shipping.
Don't believe he hype BS about having to have a $500 mic or $500 preamp. That's BS. Learn to tweak and use the gear. Pull the inner screens out of the mics. Go ahead and ask Brandon about it. Most the seasoned guys who have grown up in the industry know the BS Mic and gear companies have portrayed on us. Buy as much gear as you can and have fun. Plan on finding out what works for you and selling Mics that don't perform for you and get something else. Enjoy.

Back