unwanted sounds interfering with recording

achasse

This is more of an electronics-related question than anything else... I recently moved to a new house and my speakers/headphones seem to be picking up not only a buzzing noise, but also a faint signal from what I think is a local radio station. This is just mildly annoying when listening to music online; but I just tried to record for the first time since the move, and to my dismay, I hear the buzz even louder during playback (which of course becomes even worse when layering more tracks) - this noise is not being picked up by my mic, but it's making it onto the track regardless. The buzz gets slightly better (softer) depending on where my speakers, headphones, and/or preamp is placed in the room, but never completely goes away.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The recordings I did at my old place sounded pristine - no background noise whatsoever. I'm itching to get into my next home-recording project, and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Adam

Chances are this isn't the problem, but...

I had a similar problem, picking up a hum and other noises during playback. When I disconnected the mic from my LiveDrive, it went away. Not sure what caused it...

Anyone who knows more than I (and that would be just about everyone around here) care to take a stab at the cause?

Radio Shack to the rescue!

I'm sure I read this in a Radio Shack catalog!:D

Power lines and phone lines act as one big happy antenna. And all that "yep, ten-four on the county mounty doin' a flip-flop at the 24 yardstick, come in, come on!" can find it's way right into your innocent little recording machine. So does noise from electrical appliance motors.
I believe there are in line filters and suppressors that can eliminate these types of signals/interference. C7sus in an electrical engineer...maybe he knows, but I think Radio Shack has your fix.

Good luck.

Back