Until She Wakes - Under the Red

stepXinXtheXmix

I typically try to keep my posting to a one post a month maximum, but here I am posting a second song, in the same day, by the same artist:facepalm:. I recorded this session about 3 years ago and come back recently and did some "re-hearing". This was a particularly difficult mix to approach, mainly because I did a little more automation than I normally would. Kind of riding the faders and pans for various instruments. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. Good, bad or indifferent. Thanks!:thumbs up:

Until She Wakes by Stephen Billingsley on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hi

I find the stereo inbalance for the first twenty seconds and again around 2 min 14 sec a bit disconcerting to be honest. Also the vocal, to my ears, doesn't sit too confortably in the mix from around 1min 45.

Hi

I find the stereo inbalance for the first twenty seconds and again around 2 min 14 sec a bit disconcerting to be honest. Also the vocal, to my ears, doesn't sit too confortably in the mix from around 1min 45.

Thanks for the reply.

The 'inbalance'(if i understand you're definition), between the drums(right) and piano(left) was intentional and more of an aural effect instead of going the 'traditional' centered(balanced) route. The vocals overall could only be fixed by retracking them. Which is possibly the path we will take before this song is finalized. So look at the vocals more of scratch than final product.

@2:14 i do hear some inbalance between the left and right rhythm guitar, is seems the left doesn't ring out as much as the left. I tried drawing the listeners attention toward the left with the lead guitar and then hitting them with he hard left panned vocal to start the outro.

the vocals overall in my opinion need to be retracked, like I said before this was tracked about 2-3 years ago and the singer has developed more and could probably solidify most of the parts. Also 3 years ago I thought it would be wise to process those effects on the vocals at the end of the song, for some crazy reason. I regret it now, but had to use what I had.

It's not a masterpiece by any means, but thanks for the input regardless! :)

Back