Unsure about which tracks I am mixing and exporting in my DAW

linz

Sorry to sound a bit air head, but I have recorded my digital tracks in Ableton from plugins. I would like to do a good mix but I am not sure if I am supposed to mix the digital tracks or make a audio copies of each track and be mixing those to export?
Thanks.

The 'digital tracks' are really audio file from the practical point of view. There is no need at all to make audio copies if your computer can play them all back without glitching - and of course you retain the ability to edit. In all DAWs, you have different types of tracks - MIDI, audio and instruments. No need to convert any of them - they are attached to a fader, so just do the mix. I suppose you could bounce them to an audio track, but there would really be no point, and if you tweak something, youd then need to repeated create new audio tracks. Don't bother. Just press play and mix away.

The 'digital tracks' are really audio file from the practical point of view. There is no need at all to make audio copies if your computer can play them all back without glitching - and of course you retain the ability to edit. In all DAWs, you have different types of tracks - MIDI, audio and instruments. No need to convert any of them - they are attached to a fader, so just do the mix. I suppose you could bounce them to an audio track, but there would really be no point, and if you tweak something, youd then need to repeated create new audio tracks. Don't bother. Just press play and mix away.
Thanks Rob, I have actually been mixing the midi tracks like you say, but my friend has Cubase 10 and all his tracks come up with midi and audio as standard. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Thanks for putting me right.

I'm a cubase user - the tracks there tend to fall into those categories because MIDI, as in the original spec is used to control the internal VSTi instruments - but the extra features mean it's a slightly different type of track.
You have MIDI, instrument, audio and sampler tracks as four different types.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 17.27.17.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 17.27.17.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 3
Interesting reading, i too was thinking i would need to master to DAT once I actually make anything worthwhile. Maybe a little different for my vintage configuration but you make complete sense It would be pointless as it’s digital anyway and editable directly in Daw. A lot to learn. Neal

Sorry to sound a bit air head, but I have recorded my digital tracks in Ableton from plugins. I would like to do a good mix but I am not sure if I am supposed to mix the digital tracks or make a audio copies of each track and be mixing those to export?
Thanks.
Unless you want to convert a midi track into an audio track so you can work with the actual waveform there's no need to convert or copy

Back