Unshielded speakers damaging tape machine?

Withneilandi

Hi,

I am unsure how to go about using a Fostex Model 80 in the same small room as my Kef Calinda speakers. I read somewhere that if your speakers make CRT monitors go funny colours (mine do) then you don't want your tape machine near them either. Is there anything I can do about it save buying different speakers?

Try to arrange the recorder away from the speakers,...

or is that answer too obvious???:eek:;)

Anyway, are you talking about cute diminutive little speakers, or big honkers? And how much arrangement space are you talking about? There has to be a simple solution of placing the deck away from the speakers. Sorry if I assume too much.:eek:;)

Hi,

thanks for your response! I was just wondering if anyone knew roughly how far I need to get the machine away from the speakers in order to avoid damage? I'm in a pretty small room! If moving the machine a few feet away will do the trick then I'll do that. :)

Hi,

thanks for your response! I was just wondering if anyone knew roughly how far I need to get the machine away from the speakers in order to avoid damage? I'm in a pretty small room! If moving the machine a few feet away will do the trick then I'll do that. :)

Two feet away should do the trick.

I have my TASCAM MS-16 in the middle of my monitors, a pair of larger, unshielded JBL's with about that spacing and no issues.

Cheers! :)

and actually, although I have no specific info to support this ..... but my gut feeling would be anything more than 6 inches or so would do it. I think what you'd worry about the most would be if the reels of tape themselves got to close. I believe you'd have to set the speakers right on the machine before you'd have to worry about it damaging the machine or heads and even then you could always demag it.

I agree that the main reason to keep machines away from speakers is to keep tape away from speakers. It would take a lot for the machine itself to be influenced or damaged by a magnetic field from a sound system.

I suppose it could be done. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5paXeKX-W8

Attachments

• crm-114.jpg
    crm-114.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 34
Back