Unmixed Metal song

The introduction reminds me of something I've heard but cant remember. Is this un-mixed as in using no compression, eq, etc?

Ok so this is what I'm starting with there will be vocals and more solos but basic is here. what do you think? What direction should i take?Any tips?View attachment 69744

Drums are buried. need some EQ on the guitar on the high end. Distortion harmonics are killing the highs on the drums. Also, run a high pass on the guitars, around 100 hz or so. see if it gives more clarity. i'd also play with the Bass eq in the low end.

Drums are much better and you have cleaned up the low mids more.
Still sounding muffled, so work on more high mids and high end and also less low mids to bring out the presence more.

G

Much clearer now. Now to try and get those guitars sounding bigger. Try an widen the stereo image of the guitars, and bring them up in volume a little bit, you may want to play with the EQ to try and get them bigger sounding but trying also not to drown the rest of the Mix also.
This is the tricky part!

What was your guitar signal chain?

G

Guitar signal chain was: Cortx6-Randal Rg50TC(tube amp)- Custom 2x12 cab with eminence governors-Gls audio sm57 and Behringer B2- Yamaha n12 :)

ok thanks Lukmen.
I would try re-recording the guitars, they seem a little weak and I'm sure with the set up you have you could get better recordings.
So do you use the distortion on the amp rather than pedal distortion? It is usually best to use the amp distortion.

G

Instead of cutting the lows and the mids from the guitars, try just adding about 9db of high shelf at about 8k. It's really a matter of balancing the tone of the guitars, not getting rid of huge parts of it.

Holy crap! That is so much better than the original mix.

Try routing the drums to a buss and strapping a compressor across the buss with a medium attack and really fast release. Send the drum reverb to the buss as well, if you can.

Thanks ;) and I'm happy to show the whole song with vocals and solos View attachment Till the end mix.mp3 So anything to add or take? I have been fooling around for like a week with mixing. This one is by far the best shot. After all I don't have decent monitors so trying to get the best of what i have :) to be honest some of the stuff recorded for example OverHeads are really shitty so please bare with me :) and again thank you, thank you all you really helped me :)

Back