universal Phantom power

rog999

Dear All

I have an MG166CX mixer. It has 10 XLR inputs, each of those channels also has a 1/4"jack input and an insert. The mixer has a single phantom power button which will send phantom power to all of those 10 channels.

My question is probably a very simple one to those that know however the MG166cx manual is not explicit on this point.

The questions is this. Is phantom power only sent to the XLR input on each channel , and not the 1/4" inputs. I am pretty sure phantom power can only be sent to an XLR input but would like it confirmed for sure because I do not want to damage any anything.

Many thanks

Roger

Dear All

I have an MG166CX mixer. It has 10 XLR inputs, each of those channels also has a 1/4"jack input and an insert. The mixer has a single phantom power button which will send phantom power to all of those 10 channels.

My question is probably a very simple one to those that know however the MG166cx manual is not explicit on this point.

The questions is this. Is phantom power only sent to the XLR input on each channel , and not the 1/4" inputs. I am pretty sure phantom power can only be sent to an XLR input but would like it confirmed for sure because I do not want to damage any anything.

Many thanks

Roger

Hello Roger ... you are right in assuming that phantom power only travels on the XLR cable. ;)

:cool:

Yep. It'll severely damage any ribbon microphone you plug into it. Condensors need the power, dynamics don't mind it, but ribbons hate it.

Yep. It'll severely damage any ribbon microphone you plug into it. Condensors need the power, dynamics don't mind it, but ribbons hate it.

I've heard tell that some of the newer ribbons made in the last few years can see phantom power and survive! ;) I'm not sure of the who,what,where or when.

:cool:

Good info guys, many thanks. My Fostex MR16 has a single on-off for the phantom on the back, I thought I could only use the condensers or dynamics at one time, good know I can combine. XLR to 1/4" cables for the dynamics.

Back