Universal Patchbay?

bewildered

i saw some video on youtube a while ago where this guy had a generic looking patchbay like a small 10X10 grid and it seemed like he was outputting his computer through it (and the patchbay back into it) and could make all sorts of sounds using his patch cord. I dont know much about patchbays, are they all like this or did this guy have some unique univerisal device?

Isnt a patchbay like a physical version of MAX/MSP?

A patchbay is simply a device for managing connections between devices. It does no signal processing on its own.

Can you find that video and post a link for people to look at? That would be very helpful.

Sounds more like and old analog synth where you physically patched the different oscillators, filters, and sound modules into the signal path...

oh here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCy7DiFpVs

seems my memory didnt serve me correct.

Essentially what im looking for is that patch bay shown in the video (what the hell is it actually called when it processes sound instead of just routing it to other devices) without the keyboard, with computer connectivity so i can run a source sound into it and back out. Does such a thing exist?

edit:
Sounds more like and old analog synth where you physically patched the different oscillators, filters, and sound modules into the signal path...

yes, this is what im speaking of. what is it called when it is without the synth?

Reactions: SRR
It's called a patchbay. It serves to manage the connections between the different pieces of the synth. That's all. It does not do any signal processing on its own. The one in the video is a homebuild.

so there is no such thing as a standalone patchbay that can "physically patch different oscillators, filters, and sound modules into the signal path..."?

bewildered said:
so there is no such thing as a standalone patchbay that can "physically patch different oscillators, filters, and sound modules into the signal path..."?
Yes... it's call a synthesizer

Back to the original question, it's a synth, looks homemade, and sounds rather crude. In early synth days patch cables were used to connect outputs from oscillators to filters, amps, etc as well as patching controller outputs to oscillators, filters, etc. Check out the www.synthfool.com web site.

ok, so how do i get the modular without the synth? im failing to see why the two must be one piece. HERE you see, they arent connected. i want the box thats sitting in the back, there is no name for that box?

edit: what about a controller, maybe thats what im looking for? Im just looking for some hands on patchbay + knobs gizmo that can mess with the signal coming from my computer.

Last edited:
bewildered said:
ok, so how do i get the modular without the synth? im failing to see why the two must be one piece. HERE you see, they arent connected. i want the box thats sitting in the back, there is no name for that box?

edit: what about a controller, maybe thats what im looking for? Im just looking for some hands on patchbay + knobs gizmo that can mess with the signal coming from my computer.
There's no computer involved... The keyboard triggers the sounds... the patches are all between the audio source and the audio amplifier... Sometimes there's patches for control voltages (probably on the home built you first referenced)... but primarily they pass audio signal... newer synths switch and route internally... but the same switching and routing is happening inside the newer units...

Think of placing a telephone call years ago... your call rang to a switch board, where you would talk to an operator, who would manually connect you (through a patch bay) to the destination party... The same thing happens today over a switched telephone network... but the patching is done within the switch with no manual intervention.

The items in that last picture you posted ARE connected. See the cable running from the left side of the keyboard to the right side of the main synth unit?

Look, what aren't you getting about this? Everyone has told you what's up and you still act like there is something we're not telling you. A patchbay is just a bunch of jacks for connecting other stuff together - period.

i see what you all mean, ive always understood a synth to be a keyboard with a cheesy soundbank, i didnt realize that a box with knobs can be a synth too. What i want to know where can i find just a small fit-in-your-lap modular synth w/patchbay+knobs (without the keyboard) that has 1/4" in and outs?

Look, what aren't you getting about this? Everyone has told you what's up and you still act like there is something we're not telling you. A patchbay is just a bunch of jacks for connecting other stuff together - period.

I already have a mdi piano, i dont need more than one. I understand that now everything is automatic but i have yet to get the same sound out of a modern synth that i can get out of messing with a patchbay of an old modular synth (ive been messing with a vst ms-20, hence why i started looking for a hands on version that was a bit newer, smaller, and cheaper). So dont tell me that modern ones are capable of the same thing that the old ones were, because their not. When you take away the ability to patch your own oscillators and filters, you take away the ability to get anything but a slight variance on a factory soundbank.

Last edited:
bewildered said:
So dont tell me that modern ones are capable of the same thing that the old ones were, because their not.
Google "Moog" or "Analog Synth" I don't know that any analog synths are available without an integrated keyboard... but they're out there.

While your at it... search Ebay for ARP

Moog has the RME Voyager. You need the VX-352 expander to get the CV outputs. There are a few other standalones--- the Oberheim SEM's and their knockoffs, The RME isn't modular either.

There is no laptop-sized modular.

Shit, the first modular synths took up entire rooms at universities.

If you wanna learn about modular analog synths Analog Haven is a good place to start.

Bring LOT'S of $$$.

http://analoghaven.com/

bewildered said:
i see what you all mean, ive always understood a synth to be a keyboard with a cheesy soundbank, i didnt realize that a box with knobs can be a synth too. What i want to know where can i find just a small fit-in-your-lap modular synth w/patchbay+knobs (without the keyboard) that has 1/4" in and outs?

I already have a mdi piano, i dont need more than one. I understand that now everything is automatic but i have yet to get the same sound out of a modern synth that i can get out of messing with a patchbay of an old modular synth (ive been messing with a vst ms-20, hence why i started looking for a hands on version that was a bit newer, smaller, and cheaper). So dont tell me that modern ones are capable of the same thing that the old ones were, because their not. When you take away the ability to patch your own oscillators and filters, you take away the ability to get anything but a slight variance on a factory soundbank.

Check out the the PAiA site. They won't fit in your lap, but they're cheap to build.
http://www.paia.com/p9700s.asp

Back