Universal EQ

Scudr4

Is there anyway to make a song sound close on most (75%) of systems??? I would even be good with a bad constant sound. I know every speaker is different but I really think I am missing something.

Why cant there be a “use this to make it sound great” plug in :(

btw...this is a real question.

Scudr4 said:
For the same reason there can't be a "use this it make it taste great" spice, a "use this to make it look great" color, or an "add this to get the right answer" number.

And that, BTW, is a real answer.

G.

Universal AUDIO

Scudr4 said:

It's called the "Pultec."
No but seriously, there are lots plugins you can use to "make it sound great." But you have to put the knobs in the right spot. Although no amount of plugins will make your source sound great if the source isn't in the ballpark to begin with. So the harsh reality is that you have yourself to blame for not making it sound great. The plugs are capable; you are not. But look on the bright side; you are part of the human race, which makes you smarter than any plugin will ever be about music. Unless you have some kind of mental handicap or something, in which case, my apologies; we can't expect you to be smarter than a plugin. :o

Reggie said:
It's called the "Pultec."
No but seriously, there are lots plugins you can use to "make it sound great." But you have to put the knobs in the right spot. Although no amount of plugins will make your source sound great if the source isn't in the ballpark to begin with. So the harsh reality is that you have yourself to blame for not making it sound great. The plugs are capable; you are not. But look on the bright side; you are part of the human race, which makes you smarter than any plugin will ever be about music. Unless you have some kind of mental handicap or something, in which case, my apologies; we can't expect you to be smarter than a plugin. :o

I feel like i do right now...i think 75% of my problem is over editing tring to get it 101% dead on. I listen on this system and its low (edit) new speakers (edit) and it goes on and on...I just cant seem to find a standard that I like.

You may just be experiencing saturation. You've put so much energy into getting the mix perfect in one environment that any change equals a bad change. Maybe let it sit for a while and come back to it.

In general, I have the same problem. Mixing is tough. But that's what makes this whole thing so fun...and that's why so many people sit around and read this web board for so many hours. If it were easy, it would be boring.

I've seen other people suggest good monitors for these types of questions.

Past that, sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Sometimes it's actually good to set a deadline (or have one imposed by clients).
I spent the majoritty of last week mixing down a show (~3 hours) to go to a CD.
I'd spend a day doign a mix, then come back the next day, start again.
In the end, it had to be done by sunday, so it was done by sunday. No more fiddling, adding an extra plugin...

As for the "75% of systems", well, that's why you sohuld be looking for the most accurate monitors possible. No two sound systems re going to be the same, so you may as well get it sounding good to you on a "neutral" system. Since most people will adjust their own sound system to their tastes, it will colour the sound the way that they like it (which, more than likely, won't sound as great to you).
You've just got to learn to let go. Cut a CD and be done with it. Do another song. Then, when you cut that one to CD, maybe then think about returning to project #1.
Hell, then you can even call it a "remix" or a "director's cut"...

Scudr4 said:
I feel like i do right now...i think 75% of my problem is over editing tring to get it 101% dead on. I listen on this system and its low (edit) new speakers (edit) and it goes on and on...I just cant seem to find a standard that I like.
Here's what I did to get past the block you're at: Choose 4 sets of representative speakers and find a way to describe their sound. For me, it's my studio monitors, my car stereo, my HiFi stereo, and my cheap computer speakers. Listen to lots of music on each system, making mental (or notepad) notes about the general way things sound on each system. For example: In my car, things tend to sound "scooped" (less mids, more bass and highs;) On my PC, music is somewhat "tinny"; And of course on my studio monitors, things are "flat".

With these adjectives in mind, it becomes easier to forgive the disparities you hear between each system. When you play your mix in the car, and it sounds bassy, you think to yourself "well, yeah, that's how it's supposed to sound."

That might help you be more relaxed when things don't sound exactly the way you want.

DM1 said:
Here's what I did to get past the block you're at: Choose 4 sets of representative speakers and find a way to describe their sound. For me, it's my studio monitors, my car stereo, my HiFi stereo, and my cheap computer speakers. Listen to lots of music on each system, making mental (or notepad) notes about the general way things sound on each system. For example: In my car, things tend to sound "scooped" (less mids, more bass and highs;) On my PC, music is somewhat "tinny"; And of course on my studio monitors, things are "flat".

With these adjectives in mind, it becomes easier to forgive the disparities you hear between each system. When you play your mix in the car, and it sounds bassy, you think to yourself "well, yeah, that's how it's supposed to sound."

That might help you be more relaxed when things don't sound exactly the way you want.

thats a good idea...thanks

I'll second that.
Every time that I think I've "finished" a mix, I'll cut a cd and go for a drive.

That also lets you clear your head, get some sunlight, and have a bit of a break from your monitors.
Chances are if you've got cheap monitors, listening to them for ages will give you fatiuge.

Your issue is about 85% in your head. All CDs sound different on different systems. The difference between a commercial CD and your CD is that you don't have any control over a commercial CD, so you don't question it.
You're just getting too tweaked out about it.

Back