Universal Audio's UAD-2 cards?

FreshChops

what exactly are these all about? Are they just PCI cards that work as a processor handling UA's plug-ins? Are the plug-ins any good, the stock plug-ins or purchased bundles?

what exactly are these all about? Are they just PCI cards that work as a processor handling UA's plug-ins? Are the plug-ins any good, the stock plug-ins or purchased bundles?

Yes they are processors that handle the work of the calculations behind the UAD plugins so your CPU doesn't have to.
The plugins are very good indeed

Just one thing before you spend a chunk of change on one, check on UADs forum site about system/software configurations that are known to work and those that are known not to work. I ended up getting rid of my UAD card because it made my system too glitchy with Sony ACID Pro as my DAW

If UAD Ever get rid of the increasingly unecessary PCI card and allow the plugs to run natively on the CPU I would buy them again in a heartbeat

In the days when processors were slow, UAD-1 was a godsend. But now . . . well, I had three cards, I just sold one with all of the plugs I had, which was quite a few. Ultimately I became frustrated with many of them because they don't really make any attempt to fully model analog nonlinearities (for example, only two of the dozen or so models in Nigel has *any* even-order distortion, and none of the compressors I tried did), and more importantly all of the compressors I tried didn't seem to oversample (except the PMB, I think that does). Lack of oversampling causes some nasty distortions that would never be present in an analog circuit.

I got to the point where I was happier writing my own VSTs (I use Synthmaker). I still keep a couple of the cards in for the stock plugs, the reverbs are really good and my CPU is too old and slow to cope with natives . . .

That said, I think there is little chance they will go native as everything native gets pirated, and also they would have to completely rewrite their plugs using a different instruction set. DSP *is* still a better solution, but now practically it makes little difference. So what they need to do is go back to their early plugs and recode them as better models, given that they have all of the processing power they want now. I mean, for example every plug should 8x oversample (4x for DS, 2x for QS sources). And the models have to get more accurate in terms of distortion. When that is done they will sustain their advantage over native plugs, which has eroded significantly.

so... the fact that it's seemingly becoming less necessary for PCI processors might have something to do with why U.A. is offering a free UAD-2 Duo (via rebate) when you buy a LA-610?

A couple LA-610's are on top of my priority list, so I think the promo will push them into the cart. BTW, I'm using protools, run on a G5 Powermac.... but have bought Logic Pro and getting the current Intel based MacPro to run it soon. As I understand, the UA plug-ins work well with both ProTools and Logic, so I should get some use out of it. Also, I don't know much about UA's plugins but I'm optimistic about them, especially after y'alls comments on them (aside from requiring the UAD's).

thanks for the input

so... the fact that it's seemingly becoming less necessary for PCI processors might have something to do with why U.A. is offering a free UAD-2 Duo (via rebate) when you buy a LA-610?

No, that's the crack dealer giving you a free crack pipe. The hardware is the loss leader; they expect that you'll buy lots of their premium plugs ($$$) once you demo them.

I got the original UAD card back when it was still branded/marketed by Mackie.

I'd love to upgrade to the new UAD-2. I tend to use the 1176 compressor a lot, and sometimes run out of processing power on my card. I'd also like to get my hands on the new UAD-2 only plugs.

But, I am in the process of purchasing a new house, on top of getting ready for a 1 month trip to the old country, so no funds for anything audio.

I just purchased a pair of UAD-1 PCI cards, ones the original mackie one with the 1176N and LA2A ....

My PCs not really slow but I wanted just basic EQs and Compression for drum tracks that dont need anything too surgical...when you treat around 9 or 10 tracks of drums its sure eats into the CPU to begin with...the pultec and compressors give you that worry free flexibility

id say the channel strip may be something I use in the tracking process..dunno yet as most of my stuffs synths...maybe when I record more trad instruments, its not that great anyway...Im not sure I like the reverb with it...seems unnatural, and not as good as a few basic plugins I have

Nigel, the guitar sim is rubbish....its sounds like it was programmed nearly a decade ago...which it was

I spent just over $220 for the two so to tell you the truth its great value for money even with my limited use....I think, Ive been looking at fabfilters Pro EQ and thats coming in at around $130 alone (too rich for me), so $220 for all the UAD has to offer is nothing in comparssion, and its future proofed my PC for a little while longer to boot

my test track was 35 tracks..I use all the DSP power in the cards and my own itb effects (inserted with gusto) and it halved the use of my PCs CPU

Beware buying on ebay...theres a few out there that are not transferring the hardware registration and just sending authorisation files...which means no further purchases and/or extra cards...buy from the UAD site if looking for used cards...there's a few UAD-2s up there, or if buying of c'list take a laptop and get the seller to transfer the license in front of you as I did...hopefully without the use of a firearm! lol

EDIT: forgot to say that was on XP, Live and Sonar...no glitches or latency

No, that's the crack dealer giving you a free crack pipe. The hardware is the loss leader; they expect that you'll buy lots of their premium plugs ($$$) once you demo them.

That might very well be the case. I fell for it and bought the LA-610 MK II bundled with the UAD-2 Duo card about 10 days ago for about EUR 1,600.00 whereas the card alone is about EUR 900.00 here in Germany. There is an automatic 50$ voucher for plugins included and I thought I'd just upgrade one little plugin (Pulteq EQ -> Pulteq Pro) and get rid of that voucher. Now... I don't know if it was a glitch in their system, but in addition to the 50.00$ voucher I had an automatic 299.00$ "Pro Coupon" on my account (at the bottom of the page when hovering the mouse pointer over the 1 COUPON field) after I registered the UAD-2 duo card. So that's 349.00$ worth of funny money to spend on plugins. I bought the Reverb package (EMT-140 and EMT-250) along with the Pulteq Pro, used both the voucher and the coupon and paid only some additional 73.20 bucks which is about EUR 55.00.

So all in all I got
  • LA610 MK II Channel Strip (EUR 1,599.00)
  • UAD-2 duo card (EUR 949.00)
  • incl. Mix Essentials II (1176SE/LN Limiting Amplifier Emulation, RealVerb Pro, CS-1 Channel Strip, Pultec EQP-1A EQ Emulation, Teletronix LA2A emulation)
  • EMT-140 Reverb (199.00$)
  • EMT-250 delay/reverb (249.00$)
  • Pulteq Pro EQ (79.00$)

for "just" EUR 1,654.00. I haven't tested the 1176, RealVerb and CS-1, yet, but the LA2A, EMT reverbs and the Pulteq Pro are sounding very, very nice. Yes, it's a lot of money to shell out all at once but that really made my day. I don't know if I was supposed to have that coupon so I wouldn't advise anyone to act on my report here but if you're going for the LA-610 MK II anyway, there might be even more in it than you'd expect.

Cheers
Tim

Back