Universal Audio SOLO/610

reshp1

Anyone have any experience with this one? Seems to be pretty new. How does it compare to the costlier tube pre's in UA's line. What about compared to something like the GT Brick?

I've played with the M610 pre and it is not a bad unit. It is not terribly versatile, and unless you are combining with with something like the 1176 compressor in the 6176, I do not consider it a great value.

IMO the Brick is every bit as nice sounding, and actually a little more versatile in that the sound has a slightly greater amount of openess and it can be hauled and placed anywhere due to the form factor. It is built rock solid and GT has great customer service. With the price difference it is a clear winner unless you are purchasing one of UA's channel strip units.

I agree that the Brick is a more versatile unit, but the UA has MUCH more character in its sound. IN fact, I really don't find the 610 very similar to the Brick. The Brick has more of a slow soft warm sound where the 610 seems faster, and much more aggressive sounding. I personally love the UA preamps, but I certainly agree that the brick would be a little more "user friendly". The UA does definately change quite a bit when paired with an 1176 because you can use the 1176 to really change the way the UA sounds with careful attack and release times to make it sound warmer and softer. The Brick however can never really be made to sound fast and aggressive. I guess if you look at it that way, the UA may actually be more versatile, but thats only if you have the right additional outboard to create that chain.

Back