Universal Audio 2-610 preamps

DaveDrummer

Anyone have any comments on this box? I will be probably buying one soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience. How is it on electric guitar, bass, drums, and vocals? Does it clip easily? What other pres should I consider? Thanks guys

Dave

Really depends on what you're wanting to use it for.

If you're wanting a good all-around, fairly transparent, pre-amp, continue your search.

The 610 will definitely color your signal. In some cases this is desired. In some cases it's not.

If you're only planning to have one or two utility pres, consider a couple of RNP's or for more money, the Avalon M-5 and/or the Great River ME-1NV. I own both of these and find they are truly workhorses in my studio.

YMMV...

They're neat little fuzz boxes but nothing I would want a steady diet of... but as always... YMMV.

I had a 2-610...for about 3 days.

It sounded great on vocals. However, I wanted something that I could record a bunch of tracks with. So...I laid down 16 tracks of me singing 4 part harmony. And, just as I was afraid of, the tracks totally lost their definition. The "silk" became "mush".

I then tried an A Designs MP-2. It, too, sounded good on vocals. I then tried the "16 track test" and it was MUCH better. Way cleaner and much more defined. "Silky", yet "seperated".

Your Mileage May Vary = YMMV= You may get different results (probably not in this case, one trick pony from my experience, didn't spend a lot of time with it though)

Well ive gotten such mixed reviews. The majority of the reviews are "excellent recreation of a legend, wonderful on vintage guitars, bass, vocals" and "low pass filter distortion box". Obviously it is NOT a clean box, but certainly adds color from these reviews. Im 16 years old, this will be my first truely professional piece of gear, so its a touch decision. I was considering the Vintech dual 72 also. totaly different animal tho

DaveDrummer said:
Well ive gotten such mixed reviews. The majority of the reviews are "excellent recreation of a legend, wonderful on vintage guitars, bass, vocals" and "low pass filter distortion box". Obviously it is NOT a clean box, but certainly adds color from these reviews. Im 16 years old, this will be my first truely professional piece of gear, so its a touch decision. I was considering the Vintech dual 72 also. totaly different animal tho

Dave, I'm 47, this is not my 1st piece of pro gear, and I have the same questions you do. I'm looking at the UA 6176, the 610 pre and 1176 comp/limiter combo. I'm concerend about pleasant warmth turniong into fuzz as the tracks build as well.

At this price point, I'm telling this to myself also, you must be able to try before you buy. I'm looking for something I can build tracks with as well as add significant color here and there. If you're looking at tracking drums, having a pre you can build tracks with would be really important.

Good luck!

Ken

FWIW, I'm 44 been doing sound and working in music for over 30 years [did my first paid gig the day before my 13th birthday]. I have a significant arsenal of tools, tools which I have been collecting for well over 20 years. Tools that I have bought, sold, traded, formed a company around with a few friends and while that company has changed it's focus over the last 15 years from "old stuff" to "new stuff", and my personal arsenal of tools has shrunk a bit,the only thing I have found that I consider a "truth" is that there is no "magic bullet".

There are some tools out there that are wonderfully versatile, there are some tools that are one trick ponies... sometimes that "one trick" is amazing, some times it's inappropriate. While there is no such thing as "best" there is a way that each person can start to define their requirements, then fill those requirements one tool at a time.

If you're starting out, I would highly recommend that you look for a good, solid, versatile tool that will work in a variety of applications as well as last in your arsenal for the entire course of your career.

Best of luck with the search.

Back