uninstall

stupidfatnugly

is uninstalling a program from your puter just as good as deleting the partition;reinstalling windows and all your programs?

I installed Apache server and it didn't help out protools and I also don't seem to have a use for wavelab essential now that I use Reaper.

is uninstalling a program from your puter just as good as deleting the partition;reinstalling windows and all your programs?

I installed Apache server and it didn't help out protools and I also don't seem to have a use for wavelab essential now that I use Reaper.

As long as you uninstall, delete the containing folder, delete the registry keys, and perform a good defrag, you should be ok. Reinstalling will speed up things at first but Windows will bog down anyways. You can install PageDefrag from Sysinternals (part of Microsoft now) and always defrag the registry at bootup. Also run Contig to perform a great defrag. Also check your startup programs and remove whatever you don't need.

You might take a look at revo unistaller (google it) it will uninstall software and then look for any left behind folders, registry entrys etc and give you the opportunity to remove them. All that and its free too (or at least it was when I got it 18 months ago)

Registry mechanic is also pretty good for finding registry entrys that don't lead anywhere and getting rid of them. this one requires a paid license but it's not real pricy

for startup programs I have MMERefresh,qttask and ctfmon checked. the rest are unchecked. sound good?

where are the registry keys?

MMERefresh is being used by ProTools.

QTTASK is Apple's Quicktime launcher; I would disable it.

CTFMON is used by Microsoft Office:
"Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar." I would disable it too.

Always try to free up as much memory and get rid of useless CPU cycles.

how do I go about doing this?

thanks for your help

There's tons of ways of doing this, but the first thing to do is to get rid of programs that don't need to run at startup or in the background for any reason (JAVA, Office launcher, MS indexing, video card settings launcher, LightScribe tray icons - or for that matter most tray icons that have nothing to do with the app that is vital to you). Always use a video card that has built-in memory rather than using the PC's RAM; you will know when you boot your PC and Windows reads like "1023MB RAM" instead of 1024. That means 1MB is being allocated for video RAM. If you are using a dedicated audio interface, kill any internal sound cards that came with the PC. And please use another hard drive to record audio to, hopefully on its own controller; I prefer SCSI. And if it's SCSI, make sure the controller has a nice CPU that can definitely keep up with the job. Many, many, ways of doing it comes down to getting really familiar with how your systems was setup and it's currenlty running. Nice apps to work with are the utilities from sysinternals.com (now Microsoft, but not made my Microsoft, so they *do* work :p ).

thanks but I don't know where to look for this stuff

I have 2Gb of RAM but I don't know what is running when. I do have Java and an internal sound card, but I haven't had a problem with them that I know of. I do record to an external hard drive but know idea about whether it's SCSI or not.

how do I know how much of my 2Gb of RAM is being used for which purpose?

thanks but I don't know where to look for this stuff

I have 2Gb of RAM but I don't know what is running when. I do have Java and an internal sound card, but I haven't had a problem with them that I know of. I do record to an external hard drive but know idea about whether it's SCSI or not.

how do I know how much of my 2Gb of RAM is being used for which purpose?

Download Process Explorer from SysInternals.com and it will show you what runs in memory. It should tell you what program it is and its location. Process Explorer is basically a Task Manager but more robust. Look for programs that use too much memory and are high in using the CPU. I believe that you may be using either a USB or FireWire hard drive. FireWire is ok, USB is ok as long as the specs are 2.0, which I believe you are (check the documentation that came with your PC). As long as you are not getting any delay in audio or recording glitches, then your system is ok.

My firewire actually stopped working. I'm not sure if it is the cable yet though.
what do you think about Adobe programs(ex:photoshop,Flash,Dreamweaver) on the same computer as your DAW?

will it use CPU power if they are not in use?

Back