Unfortunately I can't play piano, bass, drums, .... or guitar.

Clam Soup

Project 49
This song is hilarious to me..... I added a bass/lead feel, though I play like crap. I think this might be a good one for the piano or, for someone who plays melody on bass.

"Unfortunately I can't play piano, bass, drums, .... or guitar." - it's never stopped me.

You have a cool voice.

"Unfortunately I can't play piano, bass, drums, .... or guitar." - it's never stopped me.

You have a cool voice.

Thanks Toad.... I've been doubling down on my vocal tracks - recording two separate takes and then mixing and panning them to provide more depth. But, I usually hear other instruments in these songs that I'm unable to play..... one of these days I'd like some real musicians to grab onto them.

You definately have a very cool voice. I envy you for managing to getting that "sore throat" thing going on your vocals. I've always been looking for how to do this. Some people seem to be able to do this at will.

Also, the lyrics are great, and you know what? You are living in a dream as we all are ;)

I am also ready for a collaboration if you're interested as I've got some pretty guitar&bass sounds in my head for this one. PM me if you're interested.

You definately have a very cool voice. I envy you for managing to getting that "sore throat" thing going on your vocals. I've always been looking for how to do this. Some people seem to be able to do this at will.

Also, the lyrics are great, and you know what? You are living in a dream as we all are ;)

Thanks again dain - what you refer to as a "sore throat" is actually a smoker's voice. Take up smoking and it will come to you.... along with the drowning sensation and that phlegm that never quite clears.

I am also ready for a collaboration if you're interested as I've got some pretty guitar&bass sounds in my head for this one. PM me if you're interested.

I'm heading that direction I think - toward collaberating. I've sent you a PM. Note that in this particular song I tried to capture what I thought would be a good footprint for someone to find and fix.... I am definitely not going to be playing those parts in the end. If anything it will be me stripped down to my strums, and maybe add a track like this for leaving a shady trail for someone to find and clear of my debris.

It's probably "in you" after 13 years. I don't really do it on demand, but there are certain energy levels coming through my wind-pipe that really shake the vocal chords I guess.

Yeah... toy around with anything I put up there. If I like what I hear - it stays, if I don't, it goes. ..... but if it stays, then we'll have other issues to contend with ... like how a "band" from the 4 corners of the planet get paid?

Your voice sounds like a mix between Sad Brad Smith and Bon Iver

I dont' know either of them, but I'll go listen to them before I crash tonight.

Over the years I've heard Barry McGuire, Neil Diamond, Vince Neal, and even Eric Clapton...oh and Darius whatever - the Hootie dude. ... I think it depends on what song I'm doing and who is listening. Too, it changes over time.

Yeah your voice has a very unique sound to it. I like that. When I tune into pop radio stations today, I can't tell the difference between voices. I can only tell through the songs themselves.

Yeah your voice has a very unique sound to it. I like that. When I tune into pop radio stations today, I can't tell the difference between voices. I can only tell through the songs themselves.

I think the songs serve as the catalyst of the image that was being spoken of or written about.... when that image is secure in my mind, I have much more depth and emotion tied up into it.... which serves the song. It's a nice 3 or 4 minute walk in a better place.

Hope you get the collaboration thing up and running because your songs and your voice are good Clam. There's a couple of timing things going on, but it's not a major distraction and I know you're more going for a demo than a finished product here, so I dont think it matters much. I look forward to seeing where this goes man :)

You got a drummer willing to add to the collab as well. I tend to be a bit heavy styled, but I'm sure I could work in some brushes. Actually, I have one sitting on the shelf. And I do play a mean triangle as well. :D

Hope you get the collaboration thing up and running because your songs and your voice are good Clam. There's a couple of timing things going on, but it's not a major distraction and I know you're more going for a demo than a finished product here, so I dont think it matters much. I look forward to seeing where this goes man :)

Yeah - I've been listening to a lot of the players here and there is definitely some huge talent. .... If I were younger Rob, I'd probably be out banging on doors, but at 48 (and a half) I don't have what it takes to be the front man. A lot of folks don't understand how come I don't want to get out and perform all the time. But I'm just too inconsistant with - well - everything. I get shit stuck in my throat etc.... and my guitar playing is fair at best - at worst it's REALLY bad. What happened here was that I spent a lifetime following the wind and chasing the wrong things. I started contemplating that one question we all face about mortality, and realized that the only thing I really have to leave behind are all of these songs I'd written over the years. Then I thought, "CRAP! No wonder I was so frigging useless and miserable - I was supposed to be a song writer and nobody ever told me!" heh... that's the truth.

I've missed so many opportunities for song placement because I had written the material years before but never recorded it to my satisfaction..... I had songs that could have been pitched for Deadliest Catch, Into The Wild, Alaska's 50th anniversary, and now there is a show about gold mining that could have used a song like Charlie's Gold..... those are just the first few that come to mind. Then there are current affairs, and I've written into that a bit as well, though I prefer love songs and ballads, I can protest! I did have one television producer ask me for a song I wrote for some friends that do a fishing party, and I gave him the crappy recording we made.

There is no shortage of musicians here in Juneau, but they all suffer from a shortage of time. Playing video games becomes more important than actually creating something that might actually endure.... I've written about that as well. :-)

You got a drummer willing to add to the collab as well. I tend to be a bit heavy styled, but I'm sure I could work in some brushes. Actually, I have one sitting on the shelf. And I do play a mean triangle as well. :D

Jimmy I'd love to hear what you can do with the drums..... the next song I am mixing down stars me slapping at the top of my guitar. It might be slightly better than the lead I tried to play in this one.

The cool thing is that I have so many songs that if you don't have the right sound for one song, you probably will sound just right for the next one.... It might be melodramatic or theatrical, but the tones and timing have to match the words and feel of the content.... As an example, I did a song called American Refugee that I had to hear a snare drum doing that military march roll ... I was just missing the piccalo player. heheh.

so.... let me get a few more recorded - I'm still practicing with the mixer - then we'll have some fun.

Yeah - I've been listening to a lot of the players here and there is definitely some huge talent. .... If I were younger Rob, I'd probably be out banging on doors, but at 48 (and a half) I don't have what it takes to be the front man. A lot of folks don't understand how come I don't want to get out and perform all the time. But I'm just too inconsistant with - well - everything. I get shit stuck in my throat etc.... and my guitar playing is fair at best - at worst it's REALLY bad. What happened here was that I spent a lifetime following the wind and chasing the wrong things. I started contemplating that one question we all face about mortality, and realized that the only thing I really have to leave behind are all of these songs I'd written over the years. Then I thought, "CRAP! No wonder I was so frigging useless and miserable - I was supposed to be a song writer and nobody ever told me!" heh... that's the truth.

I've missed so many opportunities for song placement because I had written the material years before but never recorded it to my satisfaction..... I had songs that could have been pitched for Deadliest Catch, Into The Wild, Alaska's 50th anniversary, and now there is a show about gold mining that could have used a song like Charlie's Gold..... those are just the first few that come to mind. Then there are current affairs, and I've written into that a bit as well, though I prefer love songs and ballads, I can protest! I did have one television producer ask me for a song I wrote for some friends that do a fishing party, and I gave him the crappy recording we made.

There is no shortage of musicians here in Juneau, but they all suffer from a shortage of time. Playing video games becomes more important than actually creating something that might actually endure.... I've written about that as well. :-)

Wow, you got a lot of songs up at the moment Mr Chowder - is this a backlog of songs that pre-date your membership on the forum or are you just fairly prolific?

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the recordings and how much time you want to invest, but you can overcome natural shortcomings through patching together different takes, shifting timings around on your DAW (if you're recording digitally anyway). I'm massively inconsistent too and it takes me forever to get anything done by trying to achieve the 'least worst' take of anything.

A shame you missed some of those opportunities man, but if you've been in that situation before I guess you could be there again?

I think time's an issue for everyone - I work long hours and only really record when I get the house to myself so that I don't subject anyone else to repeat bad takes. If I played video games it would kill off what remaining chance I get to record anything...

Wow, you got a lot of songs up at the moment Mr Chowder - is this a backlog of songs that pre-date your membership on the forum or are you just fairly prolific?

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the recordings and how much time you want to invest, but you can overcome natural shortcomings through patching together different takes, shifting timings around on your DAW (if you're recording digitally anyway). I'm massively inconsistent too and it takes me forever to get anything done by trying to achieve the 'least worst' take of anything.

A shame you missed some of those opportunities man, but if you've been in that situation before I guess you could be there again?

I think time's an issue for everyone - I work long hours and only really record when I get the house to myself so that I don't subject anyone else to repeat bad takes. If I played video games it would kill off what remaining chance I get to record anything...

It's all backlog. I joined the forum to learn how to use my mixer and cubase.... so that I could get some of this recorded before I die of old age.

I will try to learn how to patch and whatnot, but that moves me backward again - learning something new takes a lot of time as well.

I still don't know what DAW means.

Back