Unfinished song, just needing feedback on mix so far...

minerman

Tonetard
Like the title says, this is far from being done, I just want some feedback on how the mix is so far, & if it really sucks as bad as I think, please tell me...lol...I do have vocals for it, just not recorded, lead guitar too, again, just not recorded...Lemme know what you guys think, & if what you think I need to improve (everything....hahaha), & suggestions on how to improve 'em...

Thanks in advance!!!

LDO 3-8-2015

It sounds good to me--there are a couple of hitches in the drum timing during the fills, and the bass is booming a little. Go ahead and put it all in there.

Thanks man, the drums are programmed as human as I could get 'em....maybe I went over a little...lol...I can fix about anything in my songs, except my shitty vocals, but that'll be here soon enough...hahaha...Could you be more specific about the fill(s), about where the timing is off???

And yeah, the bass is a little boomy, it's hard for me to get the right balance of girth without it sounding like shit...I don't have any basstraps in my room either, so I go back/forth between my monitors, headphones, car stereo, & boom box...

Thanks man!!!

I think the kick and snare are too loud for the mix; the kick moreso than the snare. You can hardly hear the ride bell at all, and the crash cymbals are pretty faint.

Guitars sound excellent man!

I don't care for the kick sample. I never can find one that I like AND that sounds good in a mix, the search continues!

There was a drum fill around 1:37 that had a bit of hesitation on the snare, and another later that I didn't catch the timestamp.

The bass is a little wooly, but sounds like it's mixed fine for me. I actually like the snare and kick levels, but could use more overheads on the drums.

Thanks guys, just getting a handle on these mixes, thanks for the listen(s) & comments so far, keep 'em coming!!!

The timing isn't off per se, it's just that the fills are somewhat awkward in their performance. It's a hiccup--the fill sort of has a hitch in it. Over all, the drums sound really good. It's a tough call--even following the meter, the fills need a humanized touch, and I'm guessing you did the fills via the drum program. I'm curious, because I only use drum samples in my work. The trickier drum rolls and fills that I put into songs I have to go through by ear and do--it's very tough, and like all intricate mixing business, you have to sort out your time and only work on it in short spells. I've gone back to tunes I thought might be done and realized they were still off, time-wise, even though I thought I had it down. I'll post up a tune now and let everyone hear what it sounds like.

Yeah, you could tweek a bit here and there. You are getting a lot of nitpicks on this thread.

It sounds great! For a rough unfinished mix sounds pretty awesome.:thumbs up:

Don't listen to the people trying to pick it apart, It's minor stuff. While good to get opinions, you got a good set of ears, you'll polish it up. I have faith in you.

Get some vocals and lead work on that baby and do a final mix.:D

Ps, I listened through monitors (equator D5s) and cranked it.....Sounds good.

Thanks again guys....

TimN: Yeah, the drums are all samples & programmed in the daw...I did use Jamstix 3 for the midi/programming, but did go back in & adjust the velocity on about all the hits...Tedious to say the least...I have bought an e-kit to help speed things up, but, I'm not a drummer, so if it's not something really simple/easy to play, I'll have to program....But, me actually playing the e-drums gives me a whole lot better idea of what velocity would be where, & it's a lot of fun too...The drum programming thing is a fine line to walk sometimes, but I gotta do what I gotta do, as I don't have a real kit, and, I don't really play drums...lol...

RFR: I've been doing this long enough not to let it get to me, or make me tear the mix completely apart, but the nitpicks do give me an idea of where I need to change up things just a little...Thanks man!!!

Like I mentioned, this is far from being finished, I've got vocals written, I just need to get 'em recorded, along with the lead guitar...IMHO, this should be a pretty rockin' song, if/when I get it done...

Thanks again guys!!!!

Y
Don't listen to the people trying to pick it apart, It's minor stuff.

This^^^^^^

I was only pointing out the problems, and neglected to mention that it is shaping up to be a pretty awesome rock tune. :thumbs up: Looking forward to hearing it with some more stuff...

I guess this puts me into the nitpick camp too. :laughings: But......do you know any good drummers? And do you have the capability to record live drums??

I had this buddy that did an 8 track demo (Tape) of his tunes with a mono drum machine track. We synced up to my 16 track machine and He got a buddy of his who just so happened to be a percussionist for Carlos Santana.

He set up in about 15 minutes, listened to each song one time through, then played.WOW! 8 songs played to perfection in one take each.

For me that was a pivotal moment. I had never recorded a drummer that good....but then again, I guess you gotta have some chops to have Carlos even let you play tambourine in his band.

So anyway, depending on the rest of the tune, it may deserve a live drummer. A good drummer would just kill that!:D

Supercreep: Don't worry about it man, I've got pretty thick skin, & I learned a long time ago if I'm gonna put something out into public like this, there's always gonna be things that people don't like about it, always...I remember one of my first songs I finished, & I posted it here...I'd been posting in another forum, where the talent wasn't as high/good as this one, & found out pretty quick I had a long way to go...That was my first dealing with the Gerg...lol...But, while he didn't beat around the bush & didn't really say anything wrong/rude, he made me realize just how far I had to go....That's been about 5 years ago just guessing, & while I have learned a lot since then, I still know I've got a long, long way to go...Thanks again dude, I'm pretty confident about most of my skills now, other than my vocals, they've always been my weak point, always will...No biggie, as I don't consider myself a singer...lol...

Thanks again man!!!!
I guess this puts me into the nitpick camp too. :laughings: But......do you know any good drummers? And do you have the capability to record live drums??

I had this buddy that did an 8 track demo (Tape) of his tunes with a mono drum machine track. We synced up to my 16 track machine and He got a buddy of his who just so happened to be a percussionist for Carlos Santana.

He set up in about 15 minutes, listened to each song one time through, then played.WOW! 8 songs played to perfection in one take each.

For me that was a pivotal moment. I had never recorded a drummer that good....but then again, I guess you gotta have some chops to have Carlos even let you play tambourine in his band.

So anyway, depending on the rest of the tune, it may deserve a live drummer. A good drummer would just kill that!:D

Well, locally, I know 2 drummers, but I don't have the space or equipment to record 'em, so that's out the window...One of 'em I wouldn't have the patience to deal with him, he's family, but still, he's got a lot of issues that I can't deal with, so I'll just do my own drums...:laughings:

That would be cool in a way to work with someone like that, but in a way, it would just show me how much of an amateur I really am...hahaha

Thanks again man, gonna get this one, & about 10 more finished up, I just wanted to know what I'm doing on these songs doesn't totally suck ass, just mostly sucks....:laughings:

Like I said earlier, I got faith in you.:D

While I'm not new to recording, I am new to here, and I guess I missed the point of this sub forum......or I'm just not used to it yet.

This is the place where you willingly put you tunes out for scrutiny and criticism.
Head on the chopping block so to speak.:D

I've done a lot of stuff, but it had always been critiqued by people I knew, trusted and respected. That and having it critiqued by the bands I was recording.

But back to the tune..... I like it.

Back