understanding compression

cat-eggs

hey, guys...

does anybody have a link to an article or something that CLEARLY explains the fundamentals of compression? theory and all? i'm able to make compression do what i want for the most part, but i'm not really sure what's happening. i just push buttons until is sounds good. i imagine that a fucking shit-load of people are in the same boat

sincerely,
Regan DiMerci

cat-eggs said:
hey, guys...

does anybody have a link to an article or something that CLEARLY explains the fundamentals of compression? theory and all? i'm able to make compression do what i want for the most part, but i'm not really sure what's happening. i just push buttons until is sounds good. i imagine that a fucking shit-load of people are in the same boat

sincerely,
Regan DiMerci

A compressor controls the level of the signal going into it by reducing the volume of the loud parts, and increasing the volume of the soft parts to make the signal overall more consistent.

Most compressors have 2 variables, compression, which is how much to compress the signals, and release, which is how long to hold the compression for, the release can be used to increase the sustain of the notes.

Compression is normally used on vocals, bass, and drums, as well as other instruments as needed. It can be used while recording, or in the final mix down. Most people prefer to run everything "dry" (no compression or other extra effects) into the mixer, use the sends to go out to the effects, and then record, adding the final effects during the mastering.

Back