Underrated: Lindsey Buckingham

random.hero

Yes i understand hes way before my time, but he still has new music coming out...(my mom is quite possibly one of his biggest fans)
I just thought that he's a little underrated. IMO he is one of the best still living.

your thoughts?

I don't know about under-rated, he gets a lot of respect and has sold BAZILLIONS of records.He really rocks out with the finger picking style playing. But definitely one of my favorite players.Watch the Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" DVD the two songs where he plays solo on a nylon string electric. Incredible. And his solo albums are extremely tasty.

Steve Z.

Yes a killer finger pickin mofo. Don't care for his voice all that much, but killer guitar player and very underated.

random.hero said:
Yes i understand hes way before my time, but he still has new music coming out...(my mom is quite possibly one of his biggest fans)
I just thought that he's a little underrated. IMO he is one of the best still living.

your thoughts?

Yeah, I like his work, and I'd really like to meet your mom.

Yep. His nylon version of "House On The Hill" is simply incredible. Now, I guess some people on this forum may not think it's good because he used delay. :rolleyes:

macmoondoggie said:
Considering Fleetwood Mac had some of the best selling albums in history, I would tend to think he is not underrated.

Well, being a longtime Fleetwood Mac fan, I will admit to harboring some dislike for the fellow. I really don't much care for the direction he and Stevie Nicks took the band when they took it over in 1975 (maybe after 30 years I should get over it, eh?). I much prefer FM's older stuff when Peter Green, Danny Kirwin, Bob Welch, and Jeremy Spencer (in different combinations) were in the band. I love Christine's voice, but Nicks totally eclipsed her with her stage persona but (IMO) inferior vocals.

He does play well, though.

ggunn said:
Well, being a longtime Fleetwood Mac fan, I will admit to harboring some dislike for the fellow. I really don't much care for the direction he and Stevie Nicks took the band when they took it over in 1975 (maybe after 30 years I should get over it, eh?). I much prefer FM's older stuff when Peter Green, Danny Kirwin, Bob Welch, and Jeremy Spencer (in different combinations) were in the band. I love Christine's voice, but Nicks totally eclipsed her with her stage persona but (IMO) inferior vocals.

He does play well, though.

Definitely something to be said for both incarnations. As much as I liked the earlier lineup, I believe Fleetwood Mac would have remained a footnote in rock history if they hadn't joined forces with Nicks- Buckingham.

macmoondoggie said:
Definitely something to be said for both incarnations. As much as I liked the earlier lineup, I believe Fleetwood Mac would have remained a footnote in rock history if they hadn't joined forces with Nicks- Buckingham.

Oh, no doubt the linkup was commercially good for the band, but I much prefer the sound of the band pre-BuckinghamNicks. "Kiln House" is in my top 5 faves of all time.

I don't feel sorry for him

I don't feel sorry for anyone who got to bang Stevie when she was hot. She seems to be a psycho cow now but that's another story.

That stated and off my chest, I enjoy and respect his guitar playing as well as the subtleness of Fleetwood Mac's music. I dug them when they were a blues band with the old line-up and also dug them when they went commercial. A few bands back then were able to reinvent themselves out of necessity, some lost their soul (Genesis) but remained commercially viable.

Fleetwood Mac seemed to handle the transformation better than most.

Bart

Bartman said:
I don't feel sorry for anyone who got to bang Stevie when she was hot. She seems to be a psycho cow now but that's another story.

That stated and off my chest, I enjoy and respect his guitar playing as well as the subtleness of Fleetwood Mac's music. I dug them when they were a blues band with the old line-up and also dug them when they went commercial. A few bands back then were able to reinvent themselves out of necessity, some lost their soul (Genesis) but remained commercially viable.

Fleetwood Mac seemed to handle the transformation better than most.

Bart

I guess what initially bugged me most about the B/N version of the band was that they self-titled their first album after the switch and for years they flatly refused to perform any of the music from before the transition. It was as if they (B and N) looked at it as their new band with no roots.

All that and Nicks totally upstaging Christine; I truly hate Stevie's voice.

ggunn said:
I guess what initially bugged me most about the B/N version of the band was that they self-titled their first album after the switch and for years they flatly refused to perform any of the music from before the transition. It was as if they (B and N) looked at it as their new band with no roots.

All that and Nicks totally upstaging Christine; I truly hate Stevie's voice.

I hear ya' man. Uncool to snub the material that enabled them to do other things.

Back