Underflow error

nwsoundman

Vintage Gear Junkie
Has anyone encountered this yet? I was tracking a veary heavy drop tuned guitar (dropped to b) in the control room and my HD24 gave the underflow hardddrive too slow error. I have never encountered any problems before. I am running firmware version 1.10 I think. Just thought I would ask and see what any of you did to remedy this. I have heard that performing a long format will help.

Kirk

I plan to update soon. I installed DSL finally and lost my previous network connection to the HD24. I was thinking of just getting a USB ethernet adapter for the file transfers. I guess I can do it midi but will wait.

Have you ever seen this error or seen much talk of it on the newsgroups? Some people say it is normal when used in the same room as super heavy loud guitars.

Kirk

At the hd24 yahoo group, several have spoken of guitars, loud or otherwise causing it to kick out of record. I haven't had it happen. I did a long format and loaded v1.15. I record mainly live concerts (loud) and have not had a problem. As a precaution, I always set the rack that contains the hd24 on a folded moving blanket.

Yo,

I have had this problem a few times.

Strangely...it HAS been only while recording electric guitars even though this makes no sense to me as live bass shakes the friggin walls.

In any case, here are some possibilities:

Definitely upgrade OS

Some drives are actually just slow

Most likely the fix has something to do with a form a fragmentation...I dont remember how it works but I DID get the explaintion from Alesis. The long and short of it is (and hopefully you have been backing up) if you reformat (long format) the drive and load the project back onto the drive, you should be fine.

heylow

That's was I figured. I bet the harddrive resonates hard at certain frequencies.

I backup everyday except for the current project as I lost my networking abilities untill I install another NIC card. I have updated firmware since the first release. I have never had any problem till now.

I guess it is long format time. Also this is a great excuse not to play loud shit in the control room. Saves my ears.

Kirk

Its funny...

I hadnt had the problem in a while....been doing vocals, perc and keys. Started doing more guitar..very loud feedbacky type stuff and waddaya know....underruns in the first 30 seconds.....twice in a row. I turned down the guitar, put a gobo in front of the machine....never happened again in that track.

Wierd.

heylow

Back