unconventional layout

GoneinUS

Ok, I have a few questions about the layout I am planning to setup. I few points first though

1. I want to do as little construction as possible. This is a basement apartment that I am turning into a studio. After negotiations with my wife, we want to do as little structurally as possible, that way if we want to rent it out down the road we can.
2. The current doors to the vocal room will be replaced with solid wood doors with windows. I plan on setting up mirrors so I can see inot the vocal room and then into the live room (this alleviates the need for major construction for a window). This may not be the best solution, but I am hoping that it will work.
3. I plan on making some temporary walls out of PVC piping and cargo blankets that are not shown in the picture. This way I can attempt to do some isolation when recording in the live room.

Ok, here are my questions:
1. I plan on hanging cargo blankets in the vocal room and control room to help with absorption. From what I understand they will help with highs, but not so much with lows. Will placing fairly thick plywood behind the cargo blankets help absorb lows at all? I understand that playwood does have an ok absorption coefficient for lows, but since the plywood would essentially be free standing, would it help?
2. I plan on making the vocal room a trapoziod with the cargo blankets. However, since the rest of the room (behind the blankets) will be rectangular in shape, will the cargo blankets in this shape really help at all? Would plywood behind them help in this respect?
3. Would putting bass traps in the back of the control room help the lows in there?
4. I plan on putting plexiglass in front of the computer setup and monitors to help reduce parallel walls and to be able to see into the vocal room and then live room. Will this work?
5. Would a plexiglass shield setup around drums in the live room help with creating a better drum sound, considering my restaints?
6. Any additional things I can do to help the acoustics of my setup?

Thanks.

Attachments

• studio5.gif
    studio5.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 142
Ok, so now I think I am going to go for the closed circuit TV route. That means behind the monitor does not need to be plexiglass. Would cargo blankets work better. It also means that the doors to the vocal room don't need windows, so I am thinking of solid wood doors.

The floor to the vocal room is currently tile. Should I put down some rubber back carpet in there? I plan on putting some acoustic wall tiles on the ceiling. My vocal room is very small, so the article had talked about very small vocal rooms can be completely dead. Or would a rug be a better idea?

Also, I look at the website and it talked about having plywood at slight angles to help diffusion. You don't think that plywood behind the blankets will help with that?

The floor in the live room is carpeted, so I plan on buying some plywood so I can create a more live sounding room if need be.

I was also told to watch out for EM radiation/interference caused by the CRT''s. I am assuming that this person was talking about the monitor for the closer circuit TV setup. Is there a certain spot I should put it?

Back