unbalanced stuff into balanced patchbay

jho1986

I have some gear that is unbalanced and i have two balanced patchbays coming soon. Will the unbalanced gear work if i connect it to the back of the balanced patchbay with a TS cable?

If i then use a TRS cable to patch it from the front to somewhere else, will that work?

Can anyone explain to me what works and does not work when it comes to balanced and unbalanced gear working together?

$ .02

as was posted prior it will work.... as to balaneced to unbalanced in general...
the first thing you need to understand is that abalanced line has 2 conductors plus a ground... unbalanced 1 with a ground the 2 wires in the balanced are identicle except the are out of phase....ie when 1 goes positive 2 goes negitive.... the equipment later puts them back in phase... as you gain more knowledge check out the idea called common mode rejection..... way cool concept.... potential prblems with balance to unbalanced connectios can arise (with shitty designs) as an unbalanced input would be grounding the output of one of those balanced outputs... as a consequence what some manufacturers do is take esentially an unbalanced input and take one of the inputs and add a resistor to ground to terminate the previous output.... and even call it balanced... (LAME)

balanced cables are a necessity for mic level signals to minimize noise etc. and because microphone cables are comparitively long.
For line level units ( eq , comps , processors ) it is not that much of an issue as the cables are usually much shorter and the signals are significantly stronger.

thanks for the help... im making the jump from unbalanced patchbay to balanced patchbay, and im just trying to understand everything before i pay for it all...

Back