Unable to record the recital

Rich b

check this,

Had planned to record a recital, live opera singer and pianist. Got loads of tips thanks to you guys but now I find out that there's no room for my equipment...? I asked if there would be room behind the audience, and there won't be. I cant go in front (they won't allow it) so what can i do? The singer suggested holding a mic while sitting through the whole performace.. emm? DON'T THINK SO.
Any solution?

She wanted a good recording to use as a demo, not a tinny dictaphone bodge!
no pleasing some people
Cheers.
...arias

At first glance it seems like you are stuck. There are not many options left for you to be able to produce a high quality recording. You are facing formidable restrictions and it would be tempting and justifiable to turn down the job.

However, all is possibly not lost. What can you do outside the room? I wonder whether it is possible to set up somewhere else and run a multicore into the room (or at least a couple of leads). The only intrusion into the room could be just a pair of mikes set up in X-Y (or whever) to catch the performance, and leads trailing through a door or out a window. You can monitor somewhere else via headphones.

Fly lavalier mics from the ceiling over the stage. They are virtually invisible and sound great. I'd recommend at least 3-4 that should be up around 15-20' or so.

If you remember, I suggested a pair of mics at floor level as a possible solution. Run the cables to the side of the stage, and record from there. The only other equipment you need are a 2 track DAT machine, a stereo mic preamp, and a pair of headphones (and even that's optional).

I'd worry that footsteps would be excessively loud if you were close to the floor, plus I'd worry about reflections from the floor and staff/actors stepping on them.

Can't say I ever tried it so I'm just guessing here, but those are the things I'd look out for.

If you're looking to make a good demo, why not record before or after the recital? Or at another time?

How about a video camera? The audio usually isn't that bad...it would be a lot less hassle.

Back