Unable to open audio playback device error

drathbun

I have a strange error with my older project files. My MAudio Delta ASIO Analog device is installed configured correct because I can record and play back new files.

However, with all my older project files, I have this error message and it will not playback. What is happening? Bad file? I updated the MAudio driver recently and installed a Sonar update.

I'm running Sonar Producer 8.3.1.372 and MAudio Delta driver 5.10.0.5069.

Did you use the MAUDIO to record these files originally? The only thing I can suggest might be the problem...
- the patch broke something.
- not backward compatible versions from old Sonar
If you get no answers, then try and import all the wave files into new projects and resave them.

They were recorded with the same device (MAudio Delta) and the same version of Sonar Producer... 8. The only thing that is different, is the updated MAudio driver.

I'd try re-installing the original MAudio drivers and see what happens. You might want to set a restore point (assuming we are talking Windows), so you can restore to that if things really go awry.

I wrote to Sonar support. They said the driver and Sonar might be set to different sample rates or bit depths.

So I opened the project that doesn't play and noticed the bottom pane of Sonar says 48000 as a sample rate. The driver is set to 44100 and so is Sonar. The driver lets me change to 48000 but then Sonar complains and sets the driver back to 44100. I'm sure I must have recorded the project in 48000 with Sonar and with the previous driver set to 48000. Now with the new driver update, Sonar won't let me run it at that sample rate saying the audio card will not allow it. Obviously it did because I recorded these tracks!

Weird. I'm going to look for the previous driver on the MAudio site.

Is there a way to convert tracks from 48000 sample to 44100?

Between M-Audio support and Cakewalk support I've solved the problem. M-Audio suggested going back to a previous driver.

Sonar was rejecting a 48K sample rate saying the Delta Audiophile 2496 audio card did not support that rate and automatically set the driver back to 44.1K. With the older driver, Sonar no longer complains about it and allows the project to run fine.

I don't know if this is a Sonar issue or a M-Audio driver issue, but they both know about it now.

Thanks for your help.

Back