Un-balanced output Setup

x3rmlygood

Hey guys, i have been wondering if this is a usual problem or am i missing in a step in my setup. Every time i add an instrument track on Cubase 6, it appears to be too loud (the output monitor hits the red bar but i don't hear any distortion). The volume of the track is not reduced or turned up but i have to reduce it to stop it from hitting the red. i end up turning down every single instruments track i add and at the end, when i mix it down to an mp3 file, it is not as loud as the "normal" tracks we are used to listening to. Sometimes, even when every instruments track is turned down, when i record vocals, you can't even hear them because the beat is too loud (but at the same time is not loud enough). i am really confused and i have no idea how to fix this problem, i know i should be able to add a instrument track without having to turn it down for it not to hit the red bar (signaling too loud).

I don't post here often, but anyways...

I think you'll need to provide some more information. Like what are the instrument track sources? Are you recording through an interface? What is in the signal chain? And how are you turning down the track - in Cubase, or at the source, or where?

Some more details about your set-up will enable the smart ones here to assist.

Paul

I use the Steinberg CI2+ and i run it through ASIO4all. I turn the tracks down from the Track Volume not the instruments volume. But I noticed that when i run Cubase 6 directly through the CI2+ without ASIO4all, the volume seems to be fixed, somewhat.

I still don't get where these "instruments" are coming from. Are you recording actual real instruments or are they samples from something?

It doesn't really matter. Tracks should be peaking around -12dBFS. If they are peaking close to 0dBFS then they are way too hot. Lower your recording level if recording real instruments. If they are samples then lower the level before they get to Cubase if possible. If you can't lower them before they are in Cubase then lower them to around -12dBFS using the channel faders or something.

I still don't get where these "instruments" are coming from. Are you recording actual real instruments or are they samples from something?

It doesn't really matter. Tracks should be peaking around -12dBFS. If they are peaking close to 0dBFS then they are way too hot. Lower your recording level if recording real instruments. If they are samples then lower the level before they get to Cubase if possible. If you can't lower them before they are in Cubase then lower them to around -12dBFS using the channel faders or something.

"Instruments" for example is Morphine, Halion SOnic, Poizone, FM8, Massive e.t.c, i add them as instruments tracks.

"Instruments" for example is Morphine, Halion SOnic, Poizone, FM8, Massive e.t.c, i add them as instruments tracks.

Is there any way to control the level of the instrument before it goes into a Cubase track? If you can bring them down 12-15dB before importing them it should solve a lot of your trouble.

Back