ummmm r2r picking up radio signals?!

BOJAX

hey,

right now I have my deck set to 2 channels (it is a 4 channel deck) but I am listening to the rear channels and i am picking up radio signals! They disappear when i switch to 4ch.
What on Earth is going on? :eek:

is there a way to toally eliminate it?

BOJAX said:
right now I have my deck set to 2 channels (it is a 4 channel deck) but I am listening to the rear channels and i am picking up radio signals! They disappear when i switch to 4ch.
What on Earth is going on?
Sounds like you're getting RF leakage, the fact that it disappears when you switch to 4 channels makes it sound like something is 'floating' rather than being earthed/grounded (either directly or by a resistor).

Try cleaning all the switches, especially the one that you're using to switch between 2 and 4 channels. For any other fixes you'd probably need the schematic. In areas of high RF putting ferrite beads on the input/output leads may help. How close are you to the nearest AM broadcaster? (if you can hear a programme its AM, if its just a buzz its FM)

it's definaltly AM broadcasts.
in fact , they seem to be around the AM 680 area
what should i clean the switches with?
both stations are downtown
we do have some radio towers nearby but i dunno if those are for the particular stations i am hearing
all the downtown stations use the CN tower (i am in toronto)

BOJAX said:
it's definaltly AM broadcasts. in fact , they seem to be around the AM 680 area what should i clean the switches with?
both stations are downtown we do have some radio towers nearby but i dunno if those are for the particular stations i am hearing all the downtown stations use the CN tower (i am in toronto)
Surprisingly enough I'm not really familiar with the towers in your area ;)

There are fancy solutions to clean switches with - if you check https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=131837 there's info on an Akai restoration project that cjacek had with info on cleaning. I just used CRC CO contact cleaner in an eyedropper when fixing up my GX265D but I don't believe that this is recommended practice.

Back