(b-stock)k2600 or motif 8 both costing $2000

• kurzweil k2600

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • yamaha motif 8

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • some other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Motif 8. It has the AN expansion board that has virtual analog sounds like the AN1X synth, and it the Motif has the Integrated Sampling Sequencer which is a very powerful tool.

The factory sounds are more inspiring to play than the Kurzweil but that's just my taste.

I think the Kurzweil has great sound. I have a K2500 and it really depresses me to hear you can get a 2600 for under 2k... Refurbished or not, that's a good deal!

When Yamaha came out with the DX7 it sold like 180,000 units. Until then, synths were considered succesful if they sold 20,000 units. They made a great synth in 1983.

I voted for the 2600 but...

These days... Knowing what I know now, I would buy a triton...

2600 of course!

The sound is simply supurb and the synth engine is as deep as you want to go.
V.A.S.T. is incredible and the built in KDFX processor(s) can be used along with filters and such to process external gear via "live mode"!
Having eight gigabytes of pristine samples at my fingertips has kind of spoiled me as has the 22" ribbon controller and eight assignable MIDI sliders.

There is a HUGE base of Kurz stuff around, particularly from Sweetwater Sounds, BUT now that they are no longer being made, somewhere down the road repair parts will become a problem.

Tom

????

To any Motif users,does one of the expansion boards for the Motif give you Virtual Anolog capabilities(like a regular synth) to go with the sample playback?Or am I living in a fantasy world?

Re: ????

Stevebol said:
To any Motif users,does one of the expansion boards for the Motif give you Virtual Anolog capabilities(like a regular synth) to go with the sample playback?Or am I living in a fantasy world?

The PLG150 AN ($230) is an expansion board that is Virtual Analog. I think it's a five voices of polyphony. The expansion boards for the Motif add polyphony, it doesn't use the existing voices. That is a very cool feature. There are many expansion boards including one that has physical modeled brass and woodwinds, like the VL-series.

It looks like a very powerful synth, but I do not own one. I'm thinking about buying one but I haven't made up my mind.

Yeah, they discontinued the previous models but they are still supported. Kurzweil has always had a good track record with that.

Kurz 2600

Tomcat said:
I stand corrected. All BUT the K2600 are no longer being made.

Tom

The 2500 is no longer being made.

The 2600 is still their current flagship synth...at least until the 2700 comes out ^_^

The PC2 is a cut-down version of the 2600 without sampling or the advanced controler features.

Where can one get the 2600 for 2k. the price seems to be significantly more than that. Can you explain that please. I am interested in either a Trtion, Motif or Kurz 2600, however, the Kurz seems to be cost prohibitive. I shall check with Sweetwater, however, their catalogue has the cheapest 2600 at over $5,000.00. The top of the line is $20,000.00. So, Hmmmm.

Jack Hammer said:
Where can one get the 2600 for 2k. the price seems to be significantly more than that. Can you explain that please. I am interested in either a Trtion, Motif or Kurz 2600, however, the Kurz seems to be cost prohibitive. I shall check with Sweetwater, however, their catalogue has the cheapest 2600 at over $5,000.00. The top of the line is $20,000.00. So, Hmmmm.
zzounds.com and americanmusical.com both have (b-stock) kurzweil k2600 for $1899

Hi,

If you're not into GAS (chili etc.) you'd be better of with
one of them Kurzies. It'll cost you dear, but if you like pro-
gramming & boldly exploring 'where no ears have gone before...'
it won't bore you for a long time.
To give an example: for about ten years it was thought that
no real FMsynthesis could be implemented with the VASTmachine
residing in the heart of yer Kurz. It was rumoured that in the de-
veloping stage Kurzweil wanted to include the FMsynthesis, that
Yamaha had cleverly patented and kept patenting. The licensing
fee though would have pushed the already stratospheric price
of the workstation past the Allen belt, so the idea was dropped
in favour of better pricing. This omission was heavily bemoaned
for years in the Kurzweil community. This year Paul Dillen of
www.dlnsound.com discovered how to get true FMsynthesis out
of the VAST machine. Simple FM operating in the K2000/2500,
more complex in the K2600series (courtesy of triple mode pro-
cessing).
We're now keenly awaiting RTFMsynthesis, as not everybody on
the bulletinboards cares to read the big volumes they ship with the synth ;^)

I hope this example makes clear that it is possible to discover a
whole new method of synthesis within the VASTmachine, that
even the developers did not suspect to be hidden in there.

There are other examples of great hidden features (remember
Pong...?)- sometimes you have to study a lot or wreck your brain
but almost everytime it is possible to find a musical pleasing solution.
You're not likely to run into a brick wall with these machines.
And you won't have to buy a new synth every year-just download
a new O.S. from the site and you have free lunch.

So much for my opinion,

ISPdeRuiter,
Amsterdam

BTW the sound is fantastic: smooth, solid with 3d depth.

Back