Uhg... I'm stuck on this mix

nickg

Lets.hit.record!
Okay, so I stepped wayyy outside of my comfort zone mixing this track (and I think it shows.) So if you guys could give me some direction on this, I'd appreciate it! This is a mix project, and re-tracking anything is out of the question unfortunately.

Notes:

- There was a lot of bleed in from the HH's to the OH mics so turning the hats down is impossible without losing powerful cymbals.
- Bass sounds like poop because the bassist had no mid-range passing through and all low-end, so I tried to re-introduce some of the missing mid-range with a multiband comp.
- Vocals only had 1 take of the verses, and 1 take of choruses. No overdubs of BGV's to play with :(

Is the kick punchy enough for this style of music? Is the bass overwhelming? What do I need to do to make this track sound more mainstream?

Thanks for the assist!

Last edited:
lol.. I guess it would help if I posted a working link.. I just converted it to .mp3 and posted it to another server.

Try this:

Looking forward to your input!

It worked for me, The vocals are way upfront, I can't hear the kick, the cymbals are too bright sounding, maybe back off on the treble for those. The bass track should be re-cut with the Bass guitar going direct into the recorder with no EQ, What kind of monitors are you using? The mix sounds uneven....

I like the airy sound you have going. Suits the style well. I like how the bass is a tad boomy but It could use a mild cut in the upper mid-bass range (around 200-250). That may help the guitars stand out more. They sound like they are competeing for space with the bass. Also a little cut around 2500 for the guitars to make them a little warmer. It would also bring out more of the kick. The drums sound nice and snappy and I would like to hear a little more of them. I would also shelf the mid bass in the vocal track a tad (start at about 350-400 and below). Maybe add a light flange or chorus to the vocal track and a tad more compression to get them shimmering. What kind of monitors are you using? Are they bass deficient? All and all, not bad at all.

Back