uh... read this.

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
There is a company called "Advanced Designs" that specializes in selling overclocked processor/mobo combos... They are mentioned in Pete Leoni's article "Roll Your Own 2000" that many of us are using as a guide to building a DAW. At their website they claim that the Abit is an inferior board and the Asus is better and the Iwill is even better!!!
I emailed them to ask why, exactly...
Here is the response I recieved, verbatim:

"Hi Clayton,
the Abit boards have become of very poor quality to the
point of every other one dont work!! we have not experianced the
low voltage problem you have described on hte asus.
Iwill is just a kick butt board all around by far the most stable
thanks
scott
Advanced Design"

In all fairness they ARE located in Kentucky. And they did at least respond to my email... For the details on the mobos in question check out their website:

http://www.advanceddesignky.com/

well i spose their lack of technicality can be apreciated,
if you compare it to being pushed around by a 17 year old car salesman who insists it has "six inch quarter balaster tail pipe cooling arse licking guttrenching supercharged illripuoffifyournotcarefuls thingys'!!"..... havent experienced it yet and wont ever admit i will either...
whats the address to that site?

Hey S8-N

Their right about the ABIT quality control problems, they have always been this way. But, when you a get a board that does work, they work well. It's not 1 out of 2, more like 1 out of 40 that may have a defect. I had 4 in a row that were defective, but the serial numbers were all consecutive.

The BF6 seems quite stable, check it out. It also has the overclocking features. If within your budget, I would avoid the overclocking and get a BX slot 1 board with a PIII 700 or 800.

Never tried Iwill boards, so can't comment. The voltage problem is real, and still exists on some of the newer ASUS boards, but this may only be a problem with Photoshop.

Furphuxache. Bad English and worse quality control. What do you have to pay for reliability? Mac?

S8-N:

I checked out the site. Like any other computer retailer there selling the same products as anyone else, only with the overclocking slant. Any of the mainboards mentioned can have problems. ABIT to me is on equal level (perhaps better) in quality to ASUS these days. I got another CUBX in today for another system (why did I get another?). It also gave me some grief. With the video card this time, little dots all over the screen - I tried several VC's, same deal. After flashing the BIOS all was fine. 2 Strikes - ASUS is history for me for awhile.

Email me with what you want and maybe I can do some price comparisons between overclocked celeron VS a PIII.

Back