uh,oh...Fender Hot Rod Deluxe up in smoke?

G-String

I Have A Hot Rod Deluxe and it is my favorite tone machine. I was playing through it and it started making A loud buzzing noise, and I could smell something electrical overheating. (electrical fires have A different odor than any other fires). I did not see any smoke, but the odor was pretty stout.
I am completely clueless when it comes to the circuitboard of this amp
and am generally pretty handicapped in the knowledge of elecrical components. Can anybody give me any ideas? If not, maybe someone can point me in A general research direction (website). I am very partial to this amp. Thanks guys...

Obviously something is broken. In most cases, if one component fails, then there might be another component causing it. Perhaps you can open the cover and see if there are any visible signs of burned components or any swelling on capacitors/resistors etc.

You can then try replacing these parts if you know how to solder. If you are really partial to this amp, I recommend calling Fender and seeking advise on how to get it repaired.

Good luck!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!!

If you don't know anything about tube amps, you can litterally kill yourself pokeing around in there. Their are capacitors in there which will hold a lethal charge for a LONG time. Take your amp to a professional repair person and have it checked out.

As far as what the problem is, the list is as long as the parts list for your amp. No one is going to be able to give you any valid advice without seeing the amp in person. This is exactly the worst kind of advice to seek from the internet.

So, to answer your question; NO, nobody can give you any idea where to start looking, except in the phone book for a good electronics repair shop who has experience with tube amps, preferably a Fender Electronics warranty shop (they will have easy access to some of the parts which are likely to be the problem).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!!

If you don't know anything about tube amps, you can litterally kill yourself pokeing around in there. Their are capacitors in there which will hold a lethal charge for a LONG time. Take your amp to a professional repair person and have it checked out.

As far as what the problem is, the list is as long as the parts list for your amp. No one is going to be able to give you any valid advice without seeing the amp in person. This is exactly the worst kind of advice to seek from the internet.

So, to answer your question; NO, nobody can give you any idea where to start looking, except in the phone book for a good electronics repair shop who has experience with tube amps, preferably a Fender Electronics warranty shop (they will have easy access to some of the parts which are likely to be the problem).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

what he said....

you obviously dont have the skill set to address this and this has potential to be a serious fuck-up....

well,thanks ....I know better than to get electrocuted@#^*&$#(. My wife says that would be A blessing) O.K. thanks anyways for the advice guys.

yeah dont play around with tube amps if you dont know what your doing.

could be a million things.. we have a killer tech at our store. he loves doing tube amps so much that he barely charges us... but he smashes us on solid state stuff...

and yes, it is a nice amp ;) i have one myself.

Back