UAD Mackie vs. VLA/RNC/etc.

Hi guys!
I had some extra founds and I would like to add a nice compressor to my rig...

Uad Mackie seems to be a nice deal, but I´d never heard neither the mackie or other hardware compressors in that money range (RNC, Art Pro VLA, etc)...

I wanna the best sounding comp for that kind of money...

So... what do you say? F*cking plugins or the real thing? :D

(btw, I´m tracking mostly drums -and some acoustic, electrics, bass and vocals- through my FP10 *And I do have an extra pci slot on my machine*)

Go for the plugins :D I love my UAD set!

The plugins supposedly sound almost indistinguishable from the real thing, cost a fractiion of the price, and you can have loads of instances of them! I wonder how much a rack of several real 1176s would cost? :p

Well, I am a big proponent of hardware units and my vote still goes UAD. Nothing outboard even comes close to the quality and usefulness and value of the UAD PCI express package at $99. Granted you still have to go buy the 1176, but the SE version will still get you through many tasks, not to mention the Pultec and the LA2A.

Thanks guys!

I thought I would find some love for the RNC... :confused:

BTW, if anyone have both the uad and some cheapo hardware comp and wanna make a shootout (I can send you some drum tracks if you want), greeaaat!

UAD.

The 1176 plugin crushes the cheap hardware units.............

:D

I don't think I entirely agree with this, but I still think that UAD is the way to go until you've got stellar conversion that makes multiple trips ITB and OTB worth it. Until then the UAD 1176 will definitely be the best option.

Frank

Back