UA 610 and True Systems Precision 8

maddrummer

I haven't heard too much about these pres around hear and got to use them really quick and I liked them. Just curious what other people think about them. It was actually the 6176 instead of the 610 but it's the same pre. Thanks

Well the 610 makes a very nice fuzz box... and if that's what you're looking for it's very good at it... interesting 'texture' box but not something that will lead to a great sounding multi-track production [unless you're way more talented than I am, which is a definite possibility].

The 'True Systems' is on the polar opposite end of the spectrum. It's clean and boring [though the 2 channel version sounds quite a bit better than the 8 channel version... until you put it in 'high gain' mode and the top starts to get weird and harsh sounding].

There are so many better sounding, more flexible options... you should really continue looking before you commit to anything. Best of luck with it.

I've had the UA 2610 for a while, and yes it is a bit touchy with loud signals,,,,,,,I've been really happy with its warm tone, and adjustable eq etc.

Things like, acoustic gtr, vocals, have come out great.

By the way, how is the replication 6176? Thats the 610 and the 1176 in one strip correct. Is the 1176 faithful to the originals, or at least the newer ones. Im interested in checking it out.

-dizzdano

yep the 610 is kinda like a fuzz box but I like the thing. I received one a while ago in trade because the band ran out of funds. I was just going to resell it but ended up keeping it. It does all the catch-word tube stuff, you know makes things sounds "warm", "smooth" and "creamy" I would never use the thing on maybe more than two tracks otherwise you'd end up fighting a hazy and tubby mix. But sometimes it's the perfect touch for a lead vocal, guitar, etc. I ran a mandolin through it the otherday and it sounded fabulous. It's nothing like the fearn unit I have which is very clean and a touch "smooth" I'd say for you on the cheap home recorders a set of sytek pre's and a 610 (both under $1000) would get you up and running well with a good set of contrasting pres. These are the only sub $1000 pre's i'd recomend. (i've yet to try the great river)

Back