Typical settings for sidechain compression of bass ducking the kick drum on Hard Rock

cmorris975

Hi there,

I am messing with sidechaining for the absolute first time and I am curious what might be typical starting point settings for a compressor on the bass guitar reacting to a kick drum. The track I am mixing sounds a bit like The Cranberries "Zombie" on the chorus or end part.

Thank you for any insight!

Chris

Assuming you understand compression to begin with, you'll want to set the threshold such that you get 2-5db of gain reduction. Attack and release depend on the feel and tempo of song, but probably 1-3ms for attack and 200+ for release.

I'm with Brian on this one. I'll typically cut 2db-ish with a fast attack/release.

While you're playing with sidechain compression, try it out on your overheads, room mics, and even guitars. Used tastefully, it's a great way to get some subtle (or not so subtle) "pump" in the mix.

Thanks very much guys. I understand compression at a basic level but am very much a beginner. Now I have a starting point though, which is great!

The problem with this question, which comes up from time to time is that there are no typical settings, it depends on the recording itself, the desired sound, the genre of the music, etc etc.

The best way is to read all the articles you can on compression and to try it out. I suggest putting a simple signal, i.e kick on its own or snare on its own, and messing with the ratio, attack, release etc and see what combination does what to the sound. When you get a better idea of what does what, it will be easier later when doing the mix.

Alan.

Side chaining is done a lot in dance music, typically as the other guys have said, Kick and Bass. Work to get the extreme so you get an idea and then pull it back when doing the whole mix. If you get it right, it is a pretty cool effect. Direction is important too. If you want the bass to some up, then you side chain the kick with the bass. That should push the kick down when the bass comes in.

Been awhile since I've done this, but I think that is the direction.

Back