Typical mics used for bottom snare and kick beater?

diskobox

HELLO,

i usually record drums like this:

two overheads - Oktava MC-012 (coincident pair)
top snare - SM57
outside kick - D112

my mixes usually lack top end on the snare, i tried once using a small condensor on the bottom (in conjunction with the SM57 on top)with great results, except I no longer have access to an extra small condensor,

i do have access to the following:

AKG C2000B
Audio Technica 3060
More SM57s

i am also going to mic up the kick beater to make the kick more punchier

what mikes are typically used on the bottom snare and kick beater in modern rock/indie music

CHEERS EVERYONE, Ian x

What you use on the bottom head is rather a matter of taste. An sm57 works fine. Remember to reverse the phase of the mic. Same thing if you mic the beater from the opposite side.

I find that I don't need to mic the bottom head so long as the drums are over a hard surface and the sound gets reflected back to the overheads.

diskobox said:
What mics are typically used on the bottom snare and kick beater in modern rock/indie music

C414 ULS under/side of snare, pad & bass roll off come in handy. A little harsh maybe though.

You could buy a couple of Naiant mics. They're so inexpensive that even if they don't work out you're only out a few bucks, and you can probably use them elsewhere anyways.

If you're going to be micing the kick beater from the outside (by the drummer's foot), I recommend ducking this track off the snare so that the snare doesn't overwhelm things.

diskobox said:
du think i could get away with using a large condensor for the kick drum beater?

Are you planning to mic from inside the kick, or actually on the beater side?

When available to me, I like to use a D112 a few inches from the batter head (inside) and then an RE20 just inside the reso head.

Placing a mic on the beater side can be a bit hit or miss. You have to make sure that the pedal is silent - and that you get no squeaks.

If it's a more clicky sound you're after, you can stick a penny to the beater, or if the drummer will let you, push a metal thumb tack into the beater.

If I were you -

3060 on undersnare.

use the D112 an inch from the batter head(inside) and about two inches to the left of where the beater strikes.

Try the AKG as a room mic, compress heavily and mix to taste.

There are a lot of things you can do. Maybe the 112 inside the kick near the beater and the 3060 outside the drum. Maybe a 57 or the C2000 on the bottom of the snare too. Perhaps only the 3060 on the shell of the snare. Maybe the 112 and a 57 in the kick (112 for boom, 57 for smack) and blend to taste. Play around and see what you can come up with. Whatever you do, tune the drums first. ;) Also, make gates your friend. Nothing cleans up drum tracks better than good use of compression and gating especially when dealing with drums recorded in a less than ideal room.

Of the mics you listed, I would try the 3060 under the snare pointing staight up at the snare and at a right angle to the snares (so you are as far from them as possible) and I would actually put an sm57 on the batter head of the kick since you will also have the D112 on the ported side.

Back