Typical Guitar Setup Cost ???

Ed Dixon

If someone takes a guitar to a shop for new strings, action adjustment, truss rod adjustment, and intonation, what might be a typical cost for a Les Paul guitar?

Ed

I'd say $20-$30 bucks is about right. They should set intonation, adjust truss rod, and re-sting for that price. Of course any fret/nut work or other corrections will cost more, but should be spelled out before work is done.

If you take in an instrument to get fixed up, you can ask them to look it over and then call you if they think any extensive work will need to be done. They will charge you whatever the hourly rate is to check it over first, so just tell them to do the general setup in that hour, and then if extra work needs to be done, have 'em give you a call!

I'd suggest doing it yourself, there's loads of stuff on the net about it - not much can go seriously wrong.
What does anyone else think about this?

Elton Bear said:
I'd suggest doing it yourself, there's loads of stuff on the net about it - not much can go seriously wrong.
What does anyone else think about this?

Amen. The Complete Guide to guitar and amp manintenance by Ritchie Fliegler.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0793534909?v=glance
The guy spells it out beautifully and amazon has it used for $6. Of course any major work should be left to a trained professional, but this book rules for getting something to play like butter.

It costs about $35 or $40 around here to get a set of strings and a setup. Its a small price to pay for a professional setup.

I have set my guitar up several times, but I never get it as good as a pro does. Since they do it every day, they're very good at it and can get it done more quickly and with better results.

It depends on what's more valueable to you: $40 or the effort of taking the guitar to a shop.

I do all my own setup. I also have done it for various friends as a favor. In the past, no $ was involved.

Last night I came home with a friends LPs under the condition that he would only let me do it for him if he paid the normal rate for the work. He had recently had another local shop work on it, and it came back in less than good shape. Rather than go back to them, he wanted me to fix it, which I have now done.

Ed

The norm for a TOM bridge guitar will be around $40 give or take a five spot.

With that said, I have not paid for a setup in a long time. It's too easy to set up a guitar with about $10 of tools and a bit of common sense. Google is your friend on this one.

Setup on a Les Paul, in my shop, runs about $80. That includes restring, clean electronics, clean and polish, tighten up hardware, and adjust (in order, truss rod, nut, bridge, intonation). It also includes any minor changes if something doesn't suit the player quite right, at least for the next few weeks.

Let me put it this way. We may be more expensive than most, but we NEVER have anyone go away disapointed.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If you are new to guitar work and are at all hesitant to work on the thing yourself, I'd recomend hittin a shop to have it set up the first time, and see if you can sit down with them while they do it. Perhaps you can pick up a few pointers, and you won't be running the risk of damaging the guitar (which you can do easily by adjusting the truss rod improperly).

All I know is, if you are concerned about how much a setup costs, you probably don't have the cash sittin around to replace the thing if something should go wrong. I know this is the most negative view you can take on it, but better safe than sorry!

Gotta go with Light on this one. I typically charge between $50-80 for a routine setup. Strings and minor tweaks included of course... ;)

For me, basic set up $30 + cost of strings or other parts. This includes overall tightening (hardware mounting, neck bolts etc...) checking and cleaning electronics, truss rod, bridge, nut, intonation, pickup adjustments, clean and polish. I charge $10 extra for a Floyd Rose (type) tailpiece, they are more time consuming. Any parts to be changed or replaced are discussed before I start. My policy is if you aren't happy with the set up, bring it back within a couple of weeks and I will readjust at no cost ( unless they have tried to change the adjustments.)

Back