Typical bedroom hobbyist mix

I expected it to be bad. It's not. It's just sort of a bit out of control. Are you a guitarist? it seemed that care and attention to the guitar tone were given more time than the rest. Take 10 of the guitar, take 1 or 2 of much of the other stuff. The thing that got me is that you have the very obvious left right panning on the voices, and then just a huge mass of sound that's squashed to hell and mega loud. The synth does seem to have a time of itself - and the voices are as others have said - behind then ahead, and with all the syncopated rhythms the singers get out of the groove, and both differently, so the clarity suffers. It's also MEGA loud. I loaded it up and there is no headroom at all, and everything is stuck to the maximum level. Look at the waveform - just slammed from just after the start, and the spectral display shows every single bit of spectrum available is full. There are also quite noticeable sharp EQ where quite hard EQ cuts and boosts happen. All this just makes what could be a great song really hard to listen too - for my ears, just hugely squashed and slashed.
I am the guitar player, I spent about 20 seconds finding a profile on my Kemper and recorded my guitars. I have around 1.5db boost at about 2.5k, that’s all the guitars have. This is a mastered mix, this is not how it sounded before I sent it to the mastering guy, certainly did not look like that waveform. He’s typical of the modern day approach of everything has to be maxed out volume wise and compressed to death, not sure I’m happy with his results.

This is a mastered mix, this is not how it sounded before I sent it to the mastering guy, certainly did not look like that waveform.
Yeah, I didn't mention how squashed it is because that has nothing to do with your mix. The brick wall limiting shouldn't even be part of this conversation because that's not you're doing, and it's not what you were asking about.

I find it ironic that the guy that called your mix a "typical bedroom mix" is the same guy that gave you a "typical bedroom mastering job". Anyone can sit in their basement with pirated software, slap a limiter on a mix and call themselves a "mastering engineer". Mastering involves a hell of a lot more than that.

This is exactly why I was saying that you should take this guy's, and everyone else's, comments with a grain of salt.

Back