Type 2 cassettes

I can't recommend any bulk Type II cassettes for anything serious. The tape quality varies, and though some of the tape itself may be ok the cassette shells are terrible. With cassette the shell is very important and shouldn't be an afterthought. Some of the most significant advances in cassette were made to the shell. In fact newer improved versions of certain tapes had nothing at all to do with the formulation but was all cassette shell improvement.

Brand name Type II cassette tape is out there, even more New-Old-Stock than open-reel tape. We won’t run out of it in this generation. I recently bought 60 Maxell XLII 90 that worked out to $1.00 each including shipping on eBay and the seller had tons of it. I would have paid twice that with no problem. Even $3.00 a tape is within reason and we were paying more than that for good tape in the 80’s.

Tape is often pricey however on eBay because there is a perception that it’s rare. That has a lot to do with eBay sellers using the word rare for every f-ing thing they sell. Now and then a reasonable seller will show up with fair prices and prices in general will come down a little. People bought a ton from the same guy I bought it from and they’ll no doubt be back trying to resell some of it for a profit. But there’s a lot more where that came from. Maybe the bad economy is forcing the hoarders out to unload the stuff so they can feed their kids… I dunno.

Most of the Maxell I have is made in South Korea and assembled in Mexico. I have some NOS from Japan as well. I was always more of a TDK SA/SA-X fan since early 80’s and have tons of that as well, some made in Japan and some in Europe. Oddly enough I started liking the sound of Maxell later on in the 90’s, so I don’t really go along with the made in Japan hype.

In many cases we’re competing with wealthy “audiophiles” with lots of money, unusually low sex drive, no children (Perhaps a cat to feed) and nothing else to do but buy “Rare” shit. No way the average Joe can outbid them. So outsmart them instead and buy the assembled in Mexico Maxell XLII because IMO it sounds great and is good quality build wise.

I prefer 60-minute length, with 90-minute being the absolute max length I’ll use in a portastudio. Lengths greater than that are dead to me… they don’t exist.

I do agree, i've been trying to shop for tapes on eBay and the prices are quite high. I was hoping to find a source for 2$ or less per tape+shipping- it's not so easy. I saw someone selling individual tapes for over 9$. Crazy. Usually TDK SA/XLII stuff. Maybe Sony tapes as well.

ahhh audiophiles...what pains in the @ss.
but at the same time if it wasn't for them, there wouldnt be so many hi quality decks in good condition drifting around on the market.

And, I'll stay away from the bulk!

Avoid the Sony "CD-It" Type 2s... worst sounding Type 2 I'd ever tried back when I was doing cassette all the time.

Brand new type II Chromes and Cobalts can be had from National Audio Company. I've been using the NAC Cobalts for about a year and they rock! Prices can't be beat either!

Back