Two Tubes in a Chain

omnipotent

I read some where that two or more tubes in a chain (ie. tube mic with tube commpressor) can ruin a mix(or make it not sound as good as it could), i havn't found that but is there any truth in that at all?

thanx,
omnipotent

I heard that too many colors in a painting will ruin it..... :)

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly, if your tube device was say a Marshall amp, and the next one was a ADA MP1 it probably would kill the mix.... :)

But all really depends upon the quality of the gear you are using.

I have mixed a whole bunch of stuff that was ran through a ART Dual MP and then the a ART Dual Levelar that sounded much better than removing either peice or both.

So, it just depends. Do what sounds good. If it don't sound any better, get rid of it as you don't need extra devices in the signal chain.

Ed

Thanx, i guess i will just play with it when i get some spare time. i was always going to i just wanted to be steered it the right direction. But i guess it's different in every case.

omnipotent

"I read some where that two or more tubes in a chain (ie. tube mic with tube commpressor) can ruin a mix(or make it not sound as good as it could)"

Syouns lik buiylshyiet tya meye!

Thats what i thought (hence the "i havn't found that"), but i wanted to know for sure, and see if others had found this.

The quote came from: http://insync.sweetwater.com/ttotd/vocal.html

"* Do you use a microphone pre amp? Always. Jensen preamps are very dynamic and super clean. I used AMEK 9098 preamps for a while but I've got a couple of Avalon VT737's now and everybody loves them. The old Neve preamps are magical and have a lot of character, but I don't own any. These are my top 4 preamps. The Massenburg will make a vocal stand out but it's expensive. When I was a tape-op, a great engineer told me : never two valves in a chain. It makes things muddy. I believe there is some truth in that. And I avoid using a valve microphone with a valve preamp, or a valve compressor. But then the first rule is no rules and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this."

I still don't know why this reply bothered me so much... I don't know, what do you think?

I'd still like to if anyone has found this, or belives it true.

omnipotent

[This message has been edited by omnipotent (edited 04-01-2000).]

Back