Two songs: Thicket and Black Syrup

nimpo46

I recorded these about 8 months ago. I mixed them about 7 and half months ago. I remixed them a couple days ago. They're better than what I had by a long way, but I'm sure (because I can hear it) they are a long way from a great mix!

I know it's hard to provide detailed feedback, so I'm just looking for anything that stands out as a fundamental error or anything you know I could do better. I have a limited knowledge of mixing so any feedback is great!

Here is my setup in my bedroom:

PreSonus Inspire > Cubase LE4
EZ Drummer
GuitarRig4
Direct In on an Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Direct In on the bass (was friends don't know the model)
Audio Technica AT2035 straight into the PreSonus Inspire.
Audio Technica ATH-M20 Monitor Headphones (I know.. can't afford real monitors yet! Soon!)

Black Syrup: The reverb you have on the vocals is grabbing the S sounds quite a bit and it's a little distracting. You might be able to tame that by cutting out some of the high end in the reverb return.

Thicket: When the song gets bigger your vocals are being buried. You might just turn them up there. The snare is also a bit low there for my tastes.

Cool songs! I like the dreamy vibe you have going on.

Thanks!

I will make some adjustments.

I have Cubase LE4 and as far as I know I can't multichannel EZ Drummer, which makes it hard to adjust the individual drum levels. I could reduce the velocity on each and up the snare and then up the whole track I suppose but the other drums take on a different sound slightly. But I'll mess around with it! Maybe I could just double up the snare with another EZ drummer track.

I thought black syrup sounded really good. I liked what you did with the piano warbling away and all of the other sounds you had going on. The vocals are very well performed.

I do hear some harshness to them though. Not sure if it's too much sibilance or something else, but I guess I'd look at that. Cool tune.

Back