**Two reviews of the RODE NT5

I like spam....Fried....BBQ'd....Spam pie sounds nice, mojo spam pie would be great....Ya got yer spam, yer pie, and a nifty little voodoo charm to round it all out.

yeah, djl, this does smell like spam. so, rather than jumping your ass like you did to me saying the rnp is metal, i'll just post them here...

Rode NT5 small condenser NOT a rodent
By Warren Dent, added January 28, 2003

I recently had a quick session with the Rode NT5 small diaphragm condensers as drum overheads. The NT5 mics feature an attractive silver finish. They are quite small in size. The black sticker at the base of the mic does look sort of old school Radio Shack.

These microphones sounded pretty damn good. They really pick up the entire sound of the kit, with enough low end to make a kick mic optional in some cases. Toms and snare sounded tight and punchy while cymbals sounded smooth and realistic.

I was able to create a very realistic stereo spread with typical X/Y placement about 20 inches above the cymbals. The cardioid pattern seemed tight, as the mics did not pick up as much room sound as I'd expect.

The Bottom Line: The Rode NT5 small condensers are a very realistic pair of overhead mics that should require little or no EQ in most cases for a good tight mix. Street price is $300 for a matched pair. Recommended.

Another quickie review of the Rode NT5
By Steve Langer, added January 28, 2003

I recently got to try out a Rode NT5 on my Tacoma PK30E4 acoustic guitar. The guitar comes in a modern parlor size and features koa back and sides. It possesses a nice balanced tone.

I like one mic used in conjunction with the Fishman blender on the guitar. I positioned the Rode NT5 off the neck in the vicinity of where the neck meets the body.

The sound surprised me. It seemed to be akin to a Neumann KM184 but more dark with less highs -- a lot less highs. Someone told me of a review where someone suggested adding a high shelf of EQ to get a KM184 sound. I tried it but the sound went to pure crap.

Despite the lack of highs, I really liked the vibe and sound of this mic. I found it to be musical. Rode should sell these as singles as the company is in the project studio market for the most part. A good portion of project studios don't need a matched pair.

The Bottom Line: A good mic with a nice color. Recommended.

I believe your a happy camper, I like that. As this thread goes back to the top of the board again. :)

btw, i'm trying out a lot of small condensers these days as i'm looking for one or a pair for myself. i like the nt5. i've also like the audio technica at3031. neither one has the sound i'm looking for so i'll keep trying 'em out. i'd like to try the new studio projects small condenser that's coming out.

ozraves said:
btw, i'm trying out a lot of small condensers these days as i'm looking for one or a pair for myself. i like the nt5. i've also like the audio technica at3031. neither one has the sound i'm looking for so i'll keep trying 'em out. i'd like to try the new studio projects small condenser that's coming out.

I like owning a few more SDC mic's than only one or two. Anyway, have fun.

ozraves said:

oz, i still haven't met anyone who has tried the new Shure small diaphragm condensers. they sure look purty in the ads. i would be interested in your evaluations if you get the chance.

i have an old pair of AT4031's , but in most situations my MC012's sound a lot better. the 4031's usually end up being relegated to under-snare or HH mics.

I agree with DJ about the usefulness of having small diaphragm choices. In addition to the MC012's and the 4031's, I also have a pair of Earthworks QTC's and a pair of Behringer 8000's.

While I wouldn't mind some KM84's to round out the collection, Fletcher keeps pushing the Josephson line as da bomb. And of course there's always DPA and Schoeps and...

littledog said:
oz, i still haven't met anyone who has tried the new Shure small diaphragm condensers. they sure look purty in the ads. i would be interested in your evaluations if you get the chance.

i have an old pair of AT4031's , but in most situations my MC012's sound a lot better. the 4031's usually end up being relegated to under-snare or HH mics.

I agree with DJ about the usefulness of having small diaphragm choices. In addition to the MC012's and the 4031's, I also have a pair of Earthworks QTC's and a pair of Behringer 8000's.

While I wouldn't mind some KM84's to round out the collection, Fletcher keeps pushing the Josephson line as da bomb. And of course there's always DPA and Schoeps and...

I filled out some form the other day to get a pair of the new Shure small condensers.

Fletcher going on about the Josephsons got me to asking them about their mics. I'll keep on them as the price seems to be right if they are as incredible as Fletcher says.

Would you like to write something on the AT4031, the Behringer 8000 and the Oktava??? I like short reviews right now. :D I'm tired of editing and coding.

BTW, you're into the Grace preamps. Which small condenser do you like with the Grace on acoustic guitar?

Steve, Mojo Pie
www.piemusic.com

Last edited:
I'm an iconoclast, I'm afraid. I use large condensers on acoustic guitar unlike the rest of civilization... different strokes, etc....

and much as i wish i had an 801 (or a 201), neither are in my preamp collection. my admiration of Grace, like the VIPRE, remains at this time from afar.

i wish i had the skills or test equipment to write a good review on anything audio, but i don't think i do... i don't even own a scope.

littledog said:
I'm an iconoclast, I'm afraid. I use large condensers on acoustic guitar unlike the rest of civilization... different strokes, etc....

and much as i wish i had an 801 (or a 201), neither are in my preamp collection. my admiration of Grace, like the VIPRE, remains at this time from afar.

i wish i had the skills or test equipment to write a good review on anything audio, but i don't think i do... i don't even own a scope.

the thing about our reviews is that we tell you what the equipment will do and what it won't do. after that, the content is up to the reviewer. i did study acoustics years ago so i can get technical to a certain degree but i don't think people want to read it so i leave it out.

littledog said:

I just confirmed that I'll be trying out a pair. I'll let you know what I think after I've had them a few days.

Steve, Mojo Pie
www.piemusic.com

Back