Two questions, one old mac

littleingot

I just got my hands on a five year old pro tools setup and a bunch of gear.

Included are: Pro Tools Mix Plus, Digidesign 888, Samplecel card, BIT3 -7 card expansion chasis, Adaptec scuzzy, dual 60 gig scuzzy drives, Furman power conditioner, Samson mixer, Opcode 128X midi interface, and an Apple G3 Beige.

The lost mouse from the G3 should arrive tomorrow, so I'll get a better sense of what I'm dealing with. But my questions...

1) Should I get a drum machine, or will sample cell take care of that? I have a DX7 that I can use as a midi controller, but within the confines of my current gear, I don't know if that covers it, or if I should get a seperate piece of hardware. The previous owner is a good friend who only sort of knows what he's doing, and stopped paying attention to advancing technology when he got out of production, so he's not sure either. If I do want a drum machine, what would you recommend (let's keep it under $300)?

2) If I were to upgrade the computer (I'm really a PC guy) to a more useful G4 at the least, is there further hardware necessary to keep everything running? I know I have to run OS9, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Yeah, I forgot protools won't work with OSX unless you get LE.

Sorry I've never used a drum machine, can't help you there, but it sounds like you'll have all the hardware to at least get started. What kind of processing power and RAMM you working with?

Back