Two MXL990's or One MXL 990 Stereo for stereo?

Clarinet

Two MXL 990's cost around $100. One MXL 990 Stereo (2 disphragms in one case) costs $149. Each $50 990 comes with a shock mount. The $149 Stereo 990 does not. And the MXL shock mount that fits costs $35 (Amazon), just $15 less than the entire mono MXL990's mic that comes WITH the shock mount.

What am I missing? Why the extra cost for the Stereo version? Yes, the stereo version does come with a dual jack mic cable. And it does have a 3-position attenuation. But is there really any advantage of both diaphragms in one unit verses using two separate mikes for 35% less cost? The only spec difference I noted is the low end frequency response of the Stereo version goes down to 20 hertz, the mono version down to 30.

Last edited:
Yes, the stereo version does come with a dual jack mic cable.

The only spec difference I noted is the low end frequency response of the Stereo version goes down to 20 hertz, the mono version down to 30.

Dual Jacks means unbalanced signals.

Does your instrument go down as low as 20 or 30 Hz?
If it does would you want it in your recording? Unless of course its dub step or house.

Two mono. The risk you run with two mono is that they won't be very well matched, but you get a lot of flexibility. You can record with just one if you want. Or you can do XY. Or ORTF. Or a spaced pair. Or any other number of techniques. When the two capsules are in the same housing, you get only what they give you. The flexibility is worth the risk.

Back