Two mics to different tracks

Lomas

I can't get thir to work.

I have a mixer that goes to a audiophile firewire. I've got two mics and just want to experiment with recording vocal and guitar at the same time, but not to one track (cubase).

I look at the in's and out's but can't figure it out. I feel stupid 'cause there aren't that many places to look you know? It's not a spaceship I'm trying to maneuvre here :)

You need to specify in Cubase which input goes to which track. Set up two mono tracks, and set your inputs accordingly.

Lomas said:
But I need an input for each channel coming from the mixer?
Yes....you will need to set each up as an individual track through your mixer. (in and out seperately, not mixed.)

I don't use a mixer, just mix in software, but CubaseLE came with my Firepod. Each mic is mono, to it's own track. You need to do this with the outs on your mixer.

Yeah but I don't have two inputs on the audiophile, do I?

I'm guessing I'm still misunderstanding.

If you want to record 2 microphones simultainiously to 2 separate tracks, I think you need 2 inputs on your audio interface. If you only have one input, the only way I can see of doing it is to record, say, the guitar on it's own to one track, and then go back and do the vocals on another track afterwards.

I will assume that your mixer delivers a stereo output to your sound card, as a minimum.

Even assuming that it is only delivers a summed, stereo output, that will provide 2 channels. One is the left channel, the other is the right channel.

These will relate to two microphones - one left and one right, each set up as its own mono track in your software, taking Left or Right (or 1 and 2, or whatever the software calls these channels) as their respective inputs.

Aaaah! I see. Thanks!

And yeah, recording each track separately is what I usually do. I just want to be able to do a live recording with the tracks separated.

Hmmm...so I should set the audio tracks to "IN 1" and "IN 2" respectively?
'cause I did that now and both tracks still picks up the sound from both the microphones.

Edit: Hmmm...I see that in my project "IN 1" and "IN 2" is all it says, but in the manual they show as "IN 1 L" and "IN 2 R".

OK, but are you sure that it's exactly the same on both tracks?

Depending on what type of microphones you are using, you are bound to get some guitar in the vocals and some vocals in the guitar if you are recording with both microphones as you play and sing.

The amount of "bleed" will depend on the microphone type/pattern and placement.

Yeah actually I'm testing by having a mic on one channel and DI electric guitar on the other, and it is the same thing coming in to both tracks. I can't figure out why it doesn't say "IN 1 L" and "IN 2 R" like it does in the manual.

Have you set up the inputs and outputs for your Audiophile in 'VST connections' in the 'devices' menu in Cubase?

If not, you need to create 2 mono inputs there. And set one of them to IN 1 on your audiophile and the other to IN 2.

Then with your 2 tracks, set track 1's input as the first mono input you created, and track 2's input as the second one you created.

I haven't done anything there, nope. I went into device setup but I can't find VST devices. I do find VST system link, but that's not it, is it?

I'm at work now, but I know I was messing around in there, just didn't know what to do there. I'll look again when I get home. Thanks!

Back